Salmonella confirmed in peanut butter plant
WASHINGTON (KABC) -- A salmonella outbreak that led to a widespread recall of peanut butter has now been traced back to a New Mexico plant, the Food and Drug Administration said Friday.
Salmonella was also found in an opened jar of the Trader Joe's peanut butter found in a victim's home, the FDA said.
Sunland Inc. produces nut butters for retailer Trader Joe's and several other large national grocery chains. The Trader Joe's peanut butter is now linked to 35 salmonella illnesses in 19 states - most of them in children under the age of 10.
Though the illnesses have only been linked to the Trader Joe's peanut butter, the FDA findings have prompted Sunland to recall everything made in the plant since March of 2010 - a total of 240 products. The company had previously recalled 101 products that were manufactured in the plant this year.
The recall includes nut butters and nut products sold at Whole Foods Market, Target, Safeway, Costco, Fresh & Easy, Harry and David, Sprouts, Heinen's, Stop & Shop Supermarket Company, Giant Food of Landover, Md., and several other stores since 2010.
Salmonella can cause diarrhea, fever and abdominal cramps 12 hours to 72 hours after infection. It is most dangerous to children, the elderly and others with weak immune systems.More information on the nut products being recalled can be found on the Food and Drug Administration website.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
recall, health, food, recalls
- Santa Ana jewelry store robbery caught on cam
- Nelson Mandela mourners pay last respects
- Pope Francis named Time's Person of the Year
- Auto thefts up in CA after realignment -study
- Man arrested in 'revenge porn' website case
- FBI arrest several alleged MS-13 gang members
- Bell moving forward after Spaccia conviction
- Budget deal: Liberals, conservatives grumbling
- abcnews: Woman claws way out of locked bathroom
- Ukraine police stand down after protest grows 43 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot to soar to $400 million
- Paul Walker crash: 2nd theft suspect surrenders
- SAG Awards: '12 Years a Slave' leads noms
- OTRC: Demi Lovato's cocaine, alcohol confessions