Nature's Recipe recalls dog treats due to salmonella fears
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Nature's Recipe is voluntarily recalling dog treats that could be contaminated with salmonella.
The company announced on Saturday that it is recalling a limited supply of its "Nature's Recipe Oven Baked Biscuits with Real Chicken." The product was manufactured at its plant in Topeka, Kan., and distributed nationally - primarily through pet specialty retailers.
According to the company, the product has the potential to be contaminated with salmonella, which can affect animals eating the products and pose a risk to humans from handling contaminated pet products.
No pet or human illnesses have been reported, but Nature's Recipe officials suggest that pet owners monitor themselves and their dogs for signs of salmonella and seek medical care if symptoms worsen.
The treats involved in the recall were sold in 19-ounce stand-up re-sealable pouches. They are marked with the Lot Codes 2199TP or 2200TP and a UPC Code of 30521 51549. The pouches also have a "Best If Used By Date" stamp of "10 11 13" and "10 12 13."
Nature's Recipe says the recall is out of precaution, advising consumers who bought the treats to discard them. For more information about the recall, consumers can go to www.naturesrecipe.com or call the consumer hotline, 24 hours a day, at (800) 237-3856.
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Searchers cannot find object from missing jet
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Skydiver collides with plane in Fla.
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks