Banana Boat recalls sunscreen due to fire risk
WASHINGTON (KABC) -- The maker of Banana Boat sunscreen is recalling some spray-on lotions amid reports some users have caught on fire when coming in contact with an open flame.
Energizer Holdings Inc. says it's pulling 23 varieties of Banana Boat UltraMist sunscreen off store shelves. The company says there are five reports of people suffering burns after applying the sunscreen, and getting too close to flames or sparks. Four burn cases were reported in the U.S. and one in Canada.
The recall includes aerosol products like UltraMist Sport, UltraMist Ultra Defense and UltraMist Kids. The products were distributed nationwide to wholesalers and retailers from January of 2010 through Sept. 30, 2012.
Energizer says the valve is over applying the lotion, and it's taking longer to dry, causing flame-ups and burns.
UltraMist's label warns users: "Keep away from sources of ignition - no smoking," but dermatologists say most people don't read such labels.
Energizer Holdings said it has notified the Food and Drug Administration about the voluntary recall.
Consumers who purchased the products are being told not to use them. More information is available from the manufacturer at 1-800-SAFESUN or by sending an email to SUNCARE@customerfollowup.info.
For a complete list of recalled sunscreen products, check the Banana Boat website.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim 27 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- abcnews: Service dog helps girl in surgery
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis