Toyota recalls 1M Corollas, Lexus sedans for faulty air bags, wipers
TOKYO (KABC) -- Toyota is recalling more than 750,000 2003 and 2004 Corolla sedans and Corolla Matrix small crossovers due to a faulty air bag control module.
If it malfunctions, it could cause a short, causing a buildup of heat or even cause the air bags or seat belts to deploy.
Also, 270,000 2006 to 2012 Lexus IS sedans are being recalled because of a loose nut on the front wipers. If there is heavy buildup, like snow or debris, one or both of the wipers could malfunction.
The Japanese auto giant initially said there were no accidents related to either problem. However, Toyota spokesman Naoto Fuse said Wednesday that two crashes were reported in the U.S. related to the air bag problem.
Fuse said it was unclear if anyone was injured in the crashes, but Toyota did confirm 18 cases in the U.S. of abrasion-type injuries from the air bag issue. In total, Toyota has received 46 reports of problems involving the air bag from North America, and one from Japan, and 25 reports of problems related to the windshield wipers.
Toyota says owners of the affected vehicles should receive a notification letter in the mail in the near future, and any authorized Toyota or Lexus dealers will perform the recall for free.
You can find detailed information regarding the recall at www.toyota.com/recall or contact the Toyota Customer Experience Center at (800) 331-4331. Customers can also get more information at www.lexus.com/recall or contact Lexus Customer Satisfaction at (800) 255-3987.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
recall, auto news, recalls
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet 10 min ago
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- LA family seeks justice after deputy shooting 56 min ago
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail 30 min ago
- Jefferson Park area stabbing suspect sought
- Boy, 11, on scooter struck by tractor-trailer
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow 43 min ago
- Arkansas tornadoes injure 5, damage homes 37 min ago
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'