Toyota recalls 1M Corollas, Lexus sedans for faulty air bags, wipers
TOKYO (KABC) -- Toyota is recalling more than 750,000 2003 and 2004 Corolla sedans and Corolla Matrix small crossovers due to a faulty air bag control module.
If it malfunctions, it could cause a short, causing a buildup of heat or even cause the air bags or seat belts to deploy.
Also, 270,000 2006 to 2012 Lexus IS sedans are being recalled because of a loose nut on the front wipers. If there is heavy buildup, like snow or debris, one or both of the wipers could malfunction.
The Japanese auto giant initially said there were no accidents related to either problem. However, Toyota spokesman Naoto Fuse said Wednesday that two crashes were reported in the U.S. related to the air bag problem.
Fuse said it was unclear if anyone was injured in the crashes, but Toyota did confirm 18 cases in the U.S. of abrasion-type injuries from the air bag issue. In total, Toyota has received 46 reports of problems involving the air bag from North America, and one from Japan, and 25 reports of problems related to the windshield wipers.
Toyota says owners of the affected vehicles should receive a notification letter in the mail in the near future, and any authorized Toyota or Lexus dealers will perform the recall for free.
You can find detailed information regarding the recall at www.toyota.com/recall or contact the Toyota Customer Experience Center at (800) 331-4331. Customers can also get more information at www.lexus.com/recall or contact Lexus Customer Satisfaction at (800) 255-3987.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
recall, auto news, recalls
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash 22 min ago
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic 37 min ago
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust
- Pomona man hurt in shooting; suspect sought
- 2 pedestrians struck, killed on Norwalk street
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- New Toyota Highlander carries on legacy
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft 40 min ago
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video