Chrysler to recall 630,000 SUVs worldwide
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Chrysler is recalling 630,000 SUVs worldwide, just days after refusing a government request to recall other vehicle models.
The automaker is recalling more than 409,000 Patriots and Compasses built from 2010 through 2012 due to problems involving the air bag and seat-belt tightening systems, which could cause injuries in rollover crashes. Dealers will repair the software for free starting next month.
Chrysler is also recalling 221,000 Jeep Wranglers from 2012 and 2013 to fix a fluid leak that could wear a hole in the transmission oil cooler line. Dealers will inspect the lines for free and replace them or install a protective sleeve. The recall begins in July.
The company says no crashes or injuries have been reported in either case. Concerned customers in either case can call Chrysler at (800) 853-1403.
The recall comes just two days after Chrysler rejected the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's request to recall 2.7 million older-model Jeep Grand Cherokees and Jeep Liberty vehicles. The government claims the 1993-2004 Grand Cherokees and 2002-2007 Liberty models' gas tanks can catch fire in rear-end crashes. The tanks are mounted behind the rear axle, which NHTSA says is a design flaw.
However, Chrysler maintains that NHTSA's conclusions are based on flawed data. The company says it's still working with NHTSA to resolve the issue, but the matter could wind up in court.
The company previously refused a NHTSA request in 1996, when the agency asked it to recall 91,000 Dodge Stratus and Chrysler Cirrus cars for an alleged seat belt defect. NHTSA sued the company and won in federal court. But in 1998, an appeals court reversed the decision, saying NHTSA had unfairly held Chrysler to a new standard.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought 4 min ago
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim 3 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- abcnews: Service dog helps girl in surgery
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation 43 min ago
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis