Chrysler to recall 630,000 SUVs worldwide
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Chrysler is recalling 630,000 SUVs worldwide, just days after refusing a government request to recall other vehicle models.
The automaker is recalling more than 409,000 Patriots and Compasses built from 2010 through 2012 due to problems involving the air bag and seat-belt tightening systems, which could cause injuries in rollover crashes. Dealers will repair the software for free starting next month.
Chrysler is also recalling 221,000 Jeep Wranglers from 2012 and 2013 to fix a fluid leak that could wear a hole in the transmission oil cooler line. Dealers will inspect the lines for free and replace them or install a protective sleeve. The recall begins in July.
The company says no crashes or injuries have been reported in either case. Concerned customers in either case can call Chrysler at (800) 853-1403.
The recall comes just two days after Chrysler rejected the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's request to recall 2.7 million older-model Jeep Grand Cherokees and Jeep Liberty vehicles. The government claims the 1993-2004 Grand Cherokees and 2002-2007 Liberty models' gas tanks can catch fire in rear-end crashes. The tanks are mounted behind the rear axle, which NHTSA says is a design flaw.
However, Chrysler maintains that NHTSA's conclusions are based on flawed data. The company says it's still working with NHTSA to resolve the issue, but the matter could wind up in court.
The company previously refused a NHTSA request in 1996, when the agency asked it to recall 91,000 Dodge Stratus and Chrysler Cirrus cars for an alleged seat belt defect. NHTSA sued the company and won in federal court. But in 1998, an appeals court reversed the decision, saying NHTSA had unfairly held Chrysler to a new standard.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting 3 min ago
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- OTRC: Stacy Keibler weds boyfriend Jared Pobre