Honda recalls Fit over power window switch fire risk
DETROIT (KABC) -- Honda said Friday that it is recalling more than half a million cars worldwide because their power window switches can catch fire.
The recall affects more than 686,000 Fit and Jazz subcompacts from the 2007 and 2008 model years.
The company is telling owners not to park the vehicles in garages until driver's side door switches can be inspected.
According to Honda, a fire can potentially spark if water gets inside the door through an open window and damages the switches. Spokesman Chris Martin said seven switches have melted and two caused fires in the doors. He said no injuries or structure fires have been reported.
The Fit and Jazz are the same car, but they are sold under different names in different markets.
This is the second time the cars are being recalled for the same problem. Honda recalled the cars in January 2010, but the repairs weren't "sufficiently robust to ensure that all switches would be completely sealed against all possible moisture intrusion," Honda said in a statement. All of the melted switches and fires happened before the first recall, Martin said.
Owners of the affected models will receive notices about the recall in mid-July. The repairs will be made for free at a dealership. People with questions can contact Honda at (800) 999-1009.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
recall, auto news, recalls
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Hollywood burglary suspects caught on camera
- MoneyGram scam victims receive refund checks
- Venice boardwalk crash victims recount ordeal
- East LA coach charged with molesting 2 teens
- LAX suspect indicted on 1st-degree murder
- Yellowstone supervolcano bigger than thought
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Reporter rejects Toronto mayor's apology
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- abcnews: Father, daughter recreate wedding photos
- Timberlake helps fan propose to girlfriend
- Photos: Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts at 'August' debut