Pork products recalled due to undeclared wheat allergen
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Westlake Foods is recalling approximately 47,419 pounds of cured pork products due to misbranding and an undeclared allergen.
The products contain wheat that is not declared on the labels. Wheat is a known allergen.
The U.S. Dept. of Agriculture Food Safety and Inspection Service announced the recall Friday.
The products subject to recall include:
-- 11-lb. to 13-lb. cases of "Tay Ho Cured Pork Artificially Colored." This product was distributed for institutional use nationwide.
-- 14-oz. packages of "Tay Ho Cured Pork Sausage With Pork Ears And Snouts." This product was distributed for retail sales nationwide.
-- 11-lb. to 13-lb. cases of "Don Cafe Cured Pork Meat and Binder Product Pork skin added." This product was distributed for institutional use in the Houston, Texas area.
The products bear the establishment number "EST. 1627A" inside the USDA Mark of Inspection. They can be further identified by a case code "233001" through "213234." All products were produced between Jan. 1, 2013, and Aug. 22, 2013.
A routine label review revealed the problem. No adverse reactions have been reported.
Consumers with questions about the recall should contact Thuy Nguyen, Secretary, at (714) 973-2286.
Consumers with food safety questions can "Ask Karen," the FSIS virtual representative available 24 hours a day at www.AskKaren.gov or via smartphone at m.askkaren.gov. "Ask Karen" live chat services are available Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. ET. The toll-free USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline 1-888-MPHotline (1-888-674-6854) is available in English and Spanish and can be reached from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. ET Monday through Friday. Recorded food safety messages are available 24 hours a day. For information on how to report a problem with a meat, poultry or processed egg product to FSIS at any time, visit www.fsis.usda.gov/FSIS_Recalls/Problems_With_Food_Products.
recall, food, recalls
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts 25 min ago
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale 10 min ago
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- NASA astronauts begin spacewalking repairs
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)