Meat recall: California company recalls 8.7M pounds of beef products
PETALUMA, Calif. (KABC) -- A California company is recalling more than 8.7 million pounds of beef products after it processed diseased and unhealthy animals without a full federal inspection, federal officials said Saturday.
Rancho Feeding Corp. is recalling products including beef carcasses, oxtail, liver, cheeks, tripe, tongue and veal bones. The products were processed between Jan. 1, 2013 and Jan. 7, 2014 and were shipped to stores in California, Florida, Illinois and Texas.
The USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service said that without full inspection, the recalled products are unfit for human consumption. So far there have been no reports of illnesses.
Rancho Feeding Corp., based out of Petaluma, Calif., has been under scrutiny by the FSIS. The company also recalled more than 40,000 pounds of meat products produced on Jan. 8 that also didn't undergo a full inspection.
The following Rancho Feeding Corporation products are subject to recall:
- "Beef Carcasses" (wholesale and custom sales only)
- 2 per box "Beef (Market) Heads" (retail only)
- 4-gallons per box "Beef Blood" (wholesale only)
- 20-lb. boxes of "Beef Oxtail"
- 30-lb. boxes of "Beef Cheeks"
- 30-lb. boxes of "Beef Lips"
- 30-lb. boxes of "Beef Omasum"
- 30-lb. boxes of "Beef Tripas"
- 30-lb. boxes of "Mountain Oysters"
- 30-lb. boxes of "Sweet Breads"
- 30- and 60-lb. boxes of "Beef Liver"
- 30- and 60-lb. boxes of "Beef Tripe"
- 30- and 60-lb. boxes of "Beef Tongue"
- 30- and 60-lb. boxes of "Veal Cuts"
- 40-lb. boxes of "Veal Bones"
- 50-lb. boxes of "Beef Feet"
- 50-lb. boxes of "Beef Hearts"
- 60-lb. boxes of "Veal Trim"
Beef carcasses and boxes bear the establishment number "EST. 527" inside the USDA mark of inspection. Each box bears the case code number ending in "3" or "4."
For more details on this recall, visit fsis.usda.gov.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
recall, food, recalls
- Man high on meth terrorizes Covina family 3 min ago
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- Santa Monica building fire leaves 5 people hurt 40 min ago
- Santa Ana crash leaves man critically injured
- Male remains found in Gorman - investigators
- Some CA cities seek water independence
- abcnews: Delta plane loses part of wing mid-air
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession
- Chile earthquake: Magnitude-6.7 hits north coast
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios for $32 million
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' top box office
- Photos: Billboard's 25 highest-paid musicians