Brown sentenced to probation, labor
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- R&B singer Chris Brown sentenced Tuesday for beating his former girlfriend Rihanna.
Chris Brown said nothing as he made his way into an L.A. courtroom Tuesday afternoon to face sentencing.
- Video: Chris Brown sentenced in L.A. court
- Video: Chris Brown appears in court
- Video: Chris Brown apologizes for assault
- Blog: More entertainment at OnTheRedCarpet.com
- More: Most Popular stories, videos and more
- More: Get breaking news alerts
Inside the courtroom Brown listened quietly as Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Patricia Schnegg sentenced him to five years' probation, completion of a domestic violence program and six months' community labor.
Brown had pled guilty in late June for the assault. The judge also issued a protective order forbidding Brown from coming within 100 yards of Rihanna.
Brown was arrested in February hours after a fight erupted between the couple in Hancock Park. A photo obtained by TMZ showed Rihanna's injuries after the altercation.
After Brown's arrest he issued a public apology, calling his own conduct inexcusable.
DA spokesperson Sandi Gibbons says the office is satisfied with the sentence.
"If he conforms to all of the terms of his probation then he is going to be fine," said Gibbons. "It is in his hands and he is the one that controls his own fate."
Rihanna was not in court Tuesday, but her attorney Donald Etra was on hand.
"She was advised what the plea agreement would be. She did not object to that plea agreement," said Etra. "So there were no surprises today. The court just imposed the sentence that was envisioned by the plea agreement."
Etra would not say how Rihanna felt about the sentence.
Brown will serve his sentence in his home state - Virginia - and his community labor will be overseen by the police chief in Richmond.
He will return to Los Angeles every three months to be monitored. His next court date is set for November 19.
entertainment, leslie sykes
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony 49 min ago
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- OTRC: Stacy Keibler weds boyfriend Jared Pobre 40 min ago