Brown sentenced to probation, labor
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- R&B singer Chris Brown sentenced Tuesday for beating his former girlfriend Rihanna.
Chris Brown said nothing as he made his way into an L.A. courtroom Tuesday afternoon to face sentencing.
- Video: Chris Brown sentenced in L.A. court
- Video: Chris Brown appears in court
- Video: Chris Brown apologizes for assault
- Blog: More entertainment at OnTheRedCarpet.com
- More: Most Popular stories, videos and more
- More: Get breaking news alerts
Inside the courtroom Brown listened quietly as Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Patricia Schnegg sentenced him to five years' probation, completion of a domestic violence program and six months' community labor.
Brown had pled guilty in late June for the assault. The judge also issued a protective order forbidding Brown from coming within 100 yards of Rihanna.
Brown was arrested in February hours after a fight erupted between the couple in Hancock Park. A photo obtained by TMZ showed Rihanna's injuries after the altercation.
After Brown's arrest he issued a public apology, calling his own conduct inexcusable.
DA spokesperson Sandi Gibbons says the office is satisfied with the sentence.
"If he conforms to all of the terms of his probation then he is going to be fine," said Gibbons. "It is in his hands and he is the one that controls his own fate."
Rihanna was not in court Tuesday, but her attorney Donald Etra was on hand.
"She was advised what the plea agreement would be. She did not object to that plea agreement," said Etra. "So there were no surprises today. The court just imposed the sentence that was envisioned by the plea agreement."
Etra would not say how Rihanna felt about the sentence.
Brown will serve his sentence in his home state - Virginia - and his community labor will be overseen by the police chief in Richmond.
He will return to Los Angeles every three months to be monitored. His next court date is set for November 19.
entertainment, leslie sykes
- 2 killed, 5 hurt in I-5 accident in Irvine
- Afghan hospital guard kills 3 American doctors
- Willowbrook gunman kills teen at apartment 4 min ago
- Metro to vote on fate of ExpressLanes pilot
- Oxnard teacher arrested for child annoyance
- Granada Hills fire damages strip mall shops
- Deputies allegedly planted guns in pot clinic
- Boy brings loaded gun to Garden Grove school
- NorCal bus crash: Mother of student sues FedEx
- abcnews: 'SOS' message saves marooned snorkelers
- 6.7-mag. quake off British Columbia coast
- NYPD Twitter backlash spreads to LAPD
- 'Bachelorette' contestant dies in accident
- OTRC: Peter Jackson: 'The Hobbit 3' title changed 30 min ago
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
57 min ago
- Mac and cheese gets upgrade at Beer Belly
44 min ago