Charlie Sheen checks into rehab facility
LOS ANGELES, Calif. (KABC) -- Actor Charlie Sheen checked himself into a rehabilitation facility on Tuesday, according to his spokesman.
Publicist Stan Rosenfeld said Sheen checked himself into rehab "as a preventative measure," but did not specify why the 44-year-old actor was seeking treatment.
"He has asked that his privacy be honored. No further statements are planned," Rosenfield said.
His publicist said the actor is taking a break from his hit comedy series "Two and a Half Men," prompting CBS to announce it is temporarily halting production of the show. Until Tuesday, Sheen's legal problems hadn't disrupted taping of television's top-rated comedy.
"Charlie's representatives said he went to rehab for preventative reasons. We know a condition of his bail is that he not use any drugs or alcohol, the other thing he's preventing is losing everything in his life," said Jeanne Wolf, West Coast editor of Parade Magazine.
Sheen faces domestic violence charges in Colorado. He's accused of holding a knife to his wife's throat and threatening to kill her this past Christmas Day at their Aspen home. He's charged with felony menacing and misdemeanor charges of third-degree assault and criminal mischief.
Sheen's wife, Brooke Mueller, is also in rehab for an undisclosed reason. According to her attorney Yale Galanter, Mueller is still asking that charges against Sheen be dismissed because the couple is attempting to put their lives back together.
"Of course she wants the charges dropped. Of course they want to get back together, but what Charlie's gotten is a wakeup call with a sledge hammer. He could lose everything," said Wolf.
Sheen is out on bail in connection with the domestic dispute and is due back in Colorado for a court hearing on March 15. If convicted, Sheen could face three years behind bars.
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead 24 min ago
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 3-car crash 9 min ago
- Nurse stabbed at Sylmar hospital; 1 arrested
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy in Harbor City
- Driver smashes car into Fillmore dollar store
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role