Charlie Sheen checks into rehab facility
LOS ANGELES, Calif. (KABC) -- Actor Charlie Sheen checked himself into a rehabilitation facility on Tuesday, according to his spokesman.
Publicist Stan Rosenfeld said Sheen checked himself into rehab "as a preventative measure," but did not specify why the 44-year-old actor was seeking treatment.
"He has asked that his privacy be honored. No further statements are planned," Rosenfield said.
His publicist said the actor is taking a break from his hit comedy series "Two and a Half Men," prompting CBS to announce it is temporarily halting production of the show. Until Tuesday, Sheen's legal problems hadn't disrupted taping of television's top-rated comedy.
"Charlie's representatives said he went to rehab for preventative reasons. We know a condition of his bail is that he not use any drugs or alcohol, the other thing he's preventing is losing everything in his life," said Jeanne Wolf, West Coast editor of Parade Magazine.
Sheen faces domestic violence charges in Colorado. He's accused of holding a knife to his wife's throat and threatening to kill her this past Christmas Day at their Aspen home. He's charged with felony menacing and misdemeanor charges of third-degree assault and criminal mischief.
Sheen's wife, Brooke Mueller, is also in rehab for an undisclosed reason. According to her attorney Yale Galanter, Mueller is still asking that charges against Sheen be dismissed because the couple is attempting to put their lives back together.
"Of course she wants the charges dropped. Of course they want to get back together, but what Charlie's gotten is a wakeup call with a sledge hammer. He could lose everything," said Wolf.
Sheen is out on bail in connection with the domestic dispute and is due back in Colorado for a court hearing on March 15. If convicted, Sheen could face three years behind bars.
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Malaysia missing jet: Focus turns to pilots
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Tustin theater evacuated for investigation
- Burbank stabbing leaves 2 in serious condition
- High-speed chase leads to arrests, 5 injuries
- Young woman's body found in Santa Paula park
- Brush fire erupts in Thermal, near Indio
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report