'Survivor' producer suspected in wife's death
CULVER CITY, Calif. (KABC) -- "Survivor" producer Bruce Beresford-Redman is a suspect in his wife's death, a Mexican official told the Associated Press.
Monica Beresford-Redman was reported missing by her husband in the resort city of Cancun. Her body was found in a sewer at the Moon Palace Golf and Spa Resort, where the couple was on a family vacation.
The cause of death has not been determined.
According to an official at the attorney general's office in Quintana Roo state where Cancun is located, Bruce Beresford-Redman told police on Tuesday that his wife left the hotel the previous day. Hotel workers reportedly saw the couple arguing on Sunday.
Mexican authorites detained Bruce as the primary suspect in Monica's death.
Bruce had scratches on his neck and officials were doing toxicology tests to determine if he had consumed drugs.
L.A. County Sheriff's Department spokesman Steve Whitmore said the investigation is in the hands of Mexican authorities.
"This is happening in Cancun, Mexico, so it is their investigation, and if they ask us for our assistance, we certainly will give that," said Whitmore.
The Beresford-Redmans live in a house in Rancho Palos Verdes. Neighbors described them as quiet and nice.
The couple also owns Zabumba, a Brazilian restaurant in Culver City. The restaurant was closed Thursday.
Friends said the trip to Cancun was a last-minute change of plan. Monica was supposed to fly to Brazil to celebrate her birthday with friends. She would have turned 42 Thursday.
Bruce Beresford-Redman was a producer for several episodes of the Emmy-nominated CBS reality show "Survivor," including "The Amazon" and "Marquesas" seasons, but was not currently working with the program, according to his profile on IMDb.com. IMDB also names him as the co-creator of "Pimp My Ride," a popular MTV car makeover show.
The AP contributed to this report.
celebrity, famous death, mexico, television, entertainment, rob hayes
- Secret Service probe Target security breach
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- LA Council speaks on immigration deportations
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP
- Man convicted at 16 resentenced under new law
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- abcnews: DA pushes to jail 'affluenza' teen
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds