Stars attend opening of TCM film festival
HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (KABC) -- Classic films, including one from Brooks' list of hits, are in the spotlight this weekend as the TCM Classic Film Festival is underway in Hollywood. The four day festival for movie fans kicked off with the debut of the newly restored 1954 favorite, "A Star is Born."
Fifty-six years ago, "A Star is Born" earned six Oscar nominations, including nods for its stars Judy Garland and James Mason.
It has been painstakingly restored using state of the art technology, so audiences today can appreciate the timeless story.
"It's the story of Hollywood. It is the story of fame. It is the story of the price of fame. It is the story of everyone's dream to come to Hollywood and become a movie star. That is the story of the film. It is also about the price you pay," said Lorna Luft, Garland's daughter.
Turner Classic Movies is celebrating the best in our favorite old films with a film festival this weekend in Hollywood. And if you're looking for favorites, Eyewitness News asked several stars for their recommendations.
"I would recommend 'Sweet Smell of Success,' 'Some Like it Hot,' 'Spartacus,' 'The Great Race' and 'Houdini,'" said actor Tony Curtis.
"I'm sort of partial to William Holden," said actress Stephaine Powers.
"On my birthday, a couple weeks ago, we ran my all time favorite film, 'Casablanca,'" said Hugh Hefner, Playboy founder and editor.
"'Cat on a Hot Tin Roof' and 'Singin' in the Rain,' anything with Audrey Hepburn is a huge deal for me. She is an icon," said actress Andrea Bowen. "I think it is not fair if you are this age and you haven't seen at least a dozen. So go out and do your homework people."
TCM's Classic Film Festival continues through Sunday in Hollywood.
movie news, entertainment, ellen leyva
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Rain, winds move into Southern California 38 min ago
- Students allegedly hack system, change grades
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- abcnews: Renewed Gacy probe reunites family
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Phil Robertson suspended from 'Duck Dynasty'
- How to make delicious tamales for holidays
29 min ago
- Boy w/ heart problem learns via Skype
36 min ago
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
41 min ago
- Aulani Resort is perfect holiday getaway
20 min ago