Zsa Zsa Gabor resting at home on final days
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- After a few tough few weeks in and out of the hospital, actress Zsa Zsa Gabor is resting at home. It's where her publicist said she'd like to spend her final days.
Publicist John Blanchette said doctors wanted to perform some type of procedure on her liver Monday, but she declined the treatment and returned to her estate in Bel Air.
Gabor fell out of bed and broke her hip July 17. She underwent hip-replacement surgery two days later and, after some ups and downs, was released on Aug. 11. She developed blood clots and was taken back to Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center Friday.
On Sunday morning, Gabor received her last rites.
Gabor's husband of 24 years, Prince Frederic von Anhalt said his wife's situation is now out of their hands.
He is staying positive, saying Gabor can see him and hear him, and he is using entertainment as a way to keep her spirits up.
"They can't do anything anymore and I think it's better for her to be home," her husband said. "It's the environment, it's the oxygen, you know, it's the view. I push her bed to the window so she can look out of the window so it's comfortable. So I'm almost sure she's going to recover."
Gabor was known more for her larger-than-life personality than for her big screen performances.
She was a former Miss Hungary who began appearing in films in the 1950s. The original "Moulin Rouge" was considered her best work.
Gabor also starred in the 1958 campy sci-fi film, "Queen of Outer Space."
Gabor was essentially a professional celebrity, and she did it well. She appeared looking the part, dripping with diamonds and she called everyone "darling" off screen and on.
Gabor married nine times.
"I have never hated a man enough to give his diamonds back," she once said.
In 1990, she made headlines for slapping a police officer after being pulled over for a traffic violation. She was sentenced to 72 hours in jail. She later spoofed the cop-slapping incident on screen.
In her later years, Gabor suffered a series of health problems. A car accident left her partially paralyzed and she recently had a stroke.
But the Gabor fans will remember will be glamorous, regal and maybe a little outrageous, too.
celebrity, entertainment, george pennacchio
- Missing jet flew for 6+ hrs after contact drop
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area
- Woman, horse rescued at Angeles Nat'l Forest
- Gorman brush fire: Crews gaining upper hand
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report