Discovery hostages tell story on Oprah show
CHICAGO (KABC) -- Two employees who were taken hostage at the Discovery Channel headquarters earlier this month described their story for the first time to Oprah Winfrey for her show on Thursday.
Jim McNulty and Chris Wood were two of three hostages held in the Silver Spring, Md. building Sept. 1. A security guard was also held hostage.
McNulty said on the show that he was confused at first when he walked into the lobby and saw a man with a gun.
"I start thinking, 'Are we doing a production here? Why would somebody be showing a gun?' until the man pointed at me, 'On the ground. On the ground,"' said McNulty.
"I just start praying Hail Mary after Hail Mary," McNulty said. "I lost track of how many I said."
Wood said his cell phone kept going off, and at one point he was able to send an email to his boss.
When the standoff was over, and it was time to leave, Wood said, "I just turned and ran the fastest I think I've ever run."
Nearly 2,000 people work in the building, but no one got hurt because most of them were able to leave the building before the standoff ended.
The Associated Press contributed to this report
Do you want the Eyewitness News team to call you? Get a FREE Morning Wake-up Call and personalized weather report at abc7.com/wakeup
talk show, hostage, oprah winfrey, entertainment
- Charges expected against sheriff's officials 4 min ago
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions 17 min ago
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's uncle
- Holiday shipping deadlines quickly approaching
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- Cyclist killed in crash w/ sheriff patrol car
- 1 dead, 1 hurt in unrelated Pomona shootings 53 min ago
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC
- Icy storm persists, disrupts travel in east US
- Riot police storm opposition offices in Ukraine
- abcnews: Campus cop fatally shoots Texas student
- American Airlines, US Airways merger complete
- Torre, La Russa, Cox elected to Hall of Fame
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis