Mr. Moviefone celebrates 20th anniversary
BURBANK, Calif. (KABC) -- Mr. Moviefone, who has been providing movie-goers with weekly reviews and movie showtimes, is celebrating 20 years in the biz.
What started out as an automated phone call has led to a generation of movie-goers who've always been able to buy tickets with a credit card, pick up or purchase tickets at a theater's kiosk or go online to buy or reserve a seat -- all Moviefone firsts.
"We didn't really realize we were doing it along the way, we were just young guys trying to build a business, but the whole thing was founded on making movie-going easier," said Leatherman. "We just kept innovating along the way so you'd have a better time when you went to the movies."
That effort proved to be worth $480 million in 1999 when Moviefone was sold to AOL, but the evolution continues with the fast-paced world around us. Now you can get a movie review in six seconds.
With the 20th anniversary, Facebook is now integrated into Moviefone, allowing you to log in to your account, pick a movie and invite your friends.
"It is a proud thing for me," said Leatherman. "The thing that I love most, and a lot of people have asked me 20 years later, 'You sold the company to AOL, what are you doing? Why aren't you on a boat sailing around the world or something?' The truth is, I love being part of the movie-going experience."
Do you want the Eyewitness News team to call you? Get a FREE Morning Wake-up Call and personalized weather report at abc7.com/wakeup
celebrity, movie news, entertainment, phillip palmer
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood 44 min ago
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide 44 min ago
- Playa del Rey home break-in caught on camera 10 min ago
- Beverly Hills High School gunman threat false 17 min ago
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- Crimean, Russian politicians talk referendum
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus' Twitter jabs at Katy Perry