Mr. Moviefone celebrates 20th anniversary
BURBANK, Calif. (KABC) -- Mr. Moviefone, who has been providing movie-goers with weekly reviews and movie showtimes, is celebrating 20 years in the biz.
What started out as an automated phone call has led to a generation of movie-goers who've always been able to buy tickets with a credit card, pick up or purchase tickets at a theater's kiosk or go online to buy or reserve a seat -- all Moviefone firsts.
"We didn't really realize we were doing it along the way, we were just young guys trying to build a business, but the whole thing was founded on making movie-going easier," said Leatherman. "We just kept innovating along the way so you'd have a better time when you went to the movies."
That effort proved to be worth $480 million in 1999 when Moviefone was sold to AOL, but the evolution continues with the fast-paced world around us. Now you can get a movie review in six seconds.
With the 20th anniversary, Facebook is now integrated into Moviefone, allowing you to log in to your account, pick a movie and invite your friends.
"It is a proud thing for me," said Leatherman. "The thing that I love most, and a lot of people have asked me 20 years later, 'You sold the company to AOL, what are you doing? Why aren't you on a boat sailing around the world or something?' The truth is, I love being part of the movie-going experience."
Do you want the Eyewitness News team to call you? Get a FREE Morning Wake-up Call and personalized weather report at abc7.com/wakeup
celebrity, movie news, entertainment, phillip palmer
- Search for Oklahoma survivors almost complete 51 min ago
- Greuel, Garcetti face off on Election Day 10 min ago
- Prosecutors shed light on Maribel Ramos murder 31 min ago
- Vinny Del Negro out as LA Clippers coach
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts on 2 girls
- LA voters to decide future of marijuana shops
- Jogger sexually assaulted in Santa Paula
- UC hospital workers strike over understaffing
- Jodi Arias jury sentencing deliberations begin
- Bin Laden photos: Court sides with US govt
- abcnews: Boston bombing probe heads to Russia 42 min ago
- SF 49ers new stadium to host Super Bowl 50
- 2013 Legacy, Outback recalled for steering issue
- Photos: 'Dancing With The Stars' week 10