Charlie Sheen files for divorce in L.A.
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Charlie Sheen has filed for divorce from his third wife Brooke Mueller. Divorce papers cite the date of separation as Christmas 2009, the same day as an altercation that led to assault charges against the veteran actor.
The divorce comes just a week after the "Two and a Half Men" star was briefly hospitalized in New York when security at the Plaza Hotel reported disorderly behavior.
Sheen and Mueller were married two years ago and have twin sons together. In the papers, Sheen gives "irreconcilable differences" as the reason for the divorce and indicated that they have a prenuptial agreement.
Sheen is seeking joint custody of their children, but is asking a judge not to award his wife any spousal support.
Within hours, Mueller filed her own petition for divorce, seeking sole custody of their two sons and spousal support. Her filing did not offer any additional details, but also cited Christmas as the date of separation.
Sheen, 45, pleaded guilty in Aspen, Colo., in August to misdemeanor third-degree assault after a Christmas Day altercation with Mueller.
The Associated Press contributed to this story
celebrity, divorce, entertainment
- Malaysia missing jet may have turned back
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Stage collapse reported at Servite High School
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- abcnews: Teens save man stuck in sewer
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video