Charlie Sheen files for divorce in L.A.
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Charlie Sheen has filed for divorce from his third wife Brooke Mueller. Divorce papers cite the date of separation as Christmas 2009, the same day as an altercation that led to assault charges against the veteran actor.
The divorce comes just a week after the "Two and a Half Men" star was briefly hospitalized in New York when security at the Plaza Hotel reported disorderly behavior.
Sheen and Mueller were married two years ago and have twin sons together. In the papers, Sheen gives "irreconcilable differences" as the reason for the divorce and indicated that they have a prenuptial agreement.
Sheen is seeking joint custody of their children, but is asking a judge not to award his wife any spousal support.
Within hours, Mueller filed her own petition for divorce, seeking sole custody of their two sons and spousal support. Her filing did not offer any additional details, but also cited Christmas as the date of separation.
Sheen, 45, pleaded guilty in Aspen, Colo., in August to misdemeanor third-degree assault after a Christmas Day altercation with Mueller.
The Associated Press contributed to this story
celebrity, divorce, entertainment
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Woman gives $500 to friend who's a single mom
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)