Randy Quaid, wife miss Calif. court hearing
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. (KABC) -- Actor Randy Quaid and his wife Evi failed to show up for a court appearance on felony vandalism charges in Santa Barbara on Tuesday.
The Quaids are seeking asylum in Canada, saying they fear a group they've dubbed the "Hollywood star whackers." The Quaids' attorney says Randy Quaid is required to stay in Canada until an immigration hearing November 8.
Santa Barbara Superior Court Judge Donna Geck agreed not to issue a bench warrant for the Golden Globe-winning actor and not forfeit his $500,000 bond. He's now due back in court in Santa Barbara on November 16.
However, the judge issued a bench warrant for Evi Quaid after determining that she did not have a good reason to miss Tuesday's hearing. Prosecutors said they may eventually seek extradition to return her to Santa Barbara where the Quaids have faced two criminal court cases and have missed numerous court appearances.
Their most recent arrest came in September, when deputies arrested the Quaids while they were living in the guest house of a home they formerly owned. They were later charged with felony vandalism, accused of causing more than $5,000 in damage to the property.
The Quaids missed an arraignment in mid-October and were arrested days later in a posh shopping area of Vancouver.
celebrity, court case, legal, entertainment
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks 11 min ago
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Michaels data breach: 2.6M cards affected
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour