Demi Lovato cancels tour and goes to rehab
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- In the public eye, she's a Disney pop starlet brimming with talent. Yet behind the fame, a secret.
A source close to the family told the Associated Press Demi Lovato is in a treatment center for habitually cutting herself and having an eating disorder.
Family therapist Andrew Levander, specialist in self injury, said, "It is the need to manage, to have some mastery or control over. Eating disorder and self-injury are closely related, they are like cousins."
Her condition is said to be linked to a variety of sources: stress, anxiety, unstable relationships, conflicts with self image, and a demanding career.
Lovato's spokesperson said, "Demi has decided to take personal responsibility for her actions and seek help. She is doing just that."
The 18-year-old is an acknowledged victim of bullying, which can lead to a disorder when only the negative barbs are remembered.
On top of "Camp Rock 2", she has her sitcom "Sonny with a Chance" and the Jonas Brothers concert tour. Her reported break-up with Joe Jonas didn't help.
There is no word on how much time Lovato will need to recover. She has cancelled the rest of her concert tour with the Jonas Brothers, who are continuing the tour.
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found 42 min ago
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust 49 min ago
- Pomona man hurt in shooting; suspect sought
- 2 pedestrians struck, killed on Norwalk street
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea 9 min ago
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- Photos: Aaron Paul, wife at 'Need For Speed' premiere