2 from SoCal invited to 'Oprah' giveaway show
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Oprah's holiday elves were hard at work Monday dishing out everything from new iPads to a Volkswagen Beetle.
Not just anyone gets to be in the audience for Oprah's "Favorite Things" show.
But two lucky audience members from Southern California were invited to be in the studio audience for "Oprah's Ultimate Favorite Things, Part 2."
"I had no idea that it was going to be a 'Favorite Things' episode," said Gina Elise, 28, of Los Angeles.
Every audience member was chosen because they give back to the community.
"Today, I'm giving more of my favorite things to another special audience," Oprah said. "These people know a thing or two about giving."
Elise creates and models in 1940s style pin-up calendars and travels around the U.S. to raise money for veterans.
"A few years ago I started hearing stories about veterans coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan to hospitals in the U.S. that were severely underfunded and overpopulated," Elise said. "I really wanted to do something to help out. My own grandfather was a World War II Army veteran."
She also visits hospitalized veterans across the country.
"A lot of them don't get many visitors. They're shocked when a 1940s pin-up girl comes in," Elise said.
Elise got an iPad, a Coach purse and the keys to a 2012 Volkswagen Beetle.
Corona resident Kristi Camplin was in the audience too.
"It was like a dream, like an out of body experience," Camplin said about attending the show.
She started a charity called Inspire, which helps kids who age out of the foster care system at age 18.
"Normally they would be left to homelessness and only 6 percent of foster kids attempt to go to college, so we're trying to increase those statistics," Camplin said.
"(Oprah) was so personable," Camplin said. "She sat through the whole four-hour taping and she made us feel special."
celebrity, charity, community activity, oprah winfrey, talk show, television, entertainment, ellen leyva
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen 34 min ago
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence 13 min ago
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe 2 min ago
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed 51 min ago
- Minnesota lawmaker apologizes for NBA tweet
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Sbarro files for second bankruptcy in 3 years
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...