2 from SoCal invited to 'Oprah' giveaway show
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Oprah's holiday elves were hard at work Monday dishing out everything from new iPads to a Volkswagen Beetle.
Not just anyone gets to be in the audience for Oprah's "Favorite Things" show.
But two lucky audience members from Southern California were invited to be in the studio audience for "Oprah's Ultimate Favorite Things, Part 2."
"I had no idea that it was going to be a 'Favorite Things' episode," said Gina Elise, 28, of Los Angeles.
Every audience member was chosen because they give back to the community.
"Today, I'm giving more of my favorite things to another special audience," Oprah said. "These people know a thing or two about giving."
Elise creates and models in 1940s style pin-up calendars and travels around the U.S. to raise money for veterans.
"A few years ago I started hearing stories about veterans coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan to hospitals in the U.S. that were severely underfunded and overpopulated," Elise said. "I really wanted to do something to help out. My own grandfather was a World War II Army veteran."
She also visits hospitalized veterans across the country.
"A lot of them don't get many visitors. They're shocked when a 1940s pin-up girl comes in," Elise said.
Elise got an iPad, a Coach purse and the keys to a 2012 Volkswagen Beetle.
Corona resident Kristi Camplin was in the audience too.
"It was like a dream, like an out of body experience," Camplin said about attending the show.
She started a charity called Inspire, which helps kids who age out of the foster care system at age 18.
"Normally they would be left to homelessness and only 6 percent of foster kids attempt to go to college, so we're trying to increase those statistics," Camplin said.
"(Oprah) was so personable," Camplin said. "She sat through the whole four-hour taping and she made us feel special."
celebrity, charity, community activity, oprah winfrey, talk show, television, entertainment, ellen leyva
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited 52 min ago
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- School hacking: Tutor wanted for questioning
- Rodman in NKorea to prep for basketball game
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Report finds bacteria on 97 percent of chicken
- Local woman receives seizure-treating implant 3 min ago
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis