Broadway to feature Magic Johnson, Larry Bird
NEW YORK (KABC) -- The producers and playwright of the Broadway play "Lombardi" are planning to go from football to basketball with a new play based on two NBA legends.
The script by "Lombardi" playwright Eric Simonson will follow the two basketball stars' friendship and rivalry from their NBA rookie days to the Olympic Dream Team.
The play is scheduled to debut on Broadway in 2012.
Like "Lombardi," which benefited from endorsement by the National Football League, the new play about Bird and Magic will be produced in association with the National Basketball Association.
Producers Fran Kirmser and Tony Ponturo say Johnson and Bird will participate in the creative process.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Vandals break in, trash church in Palmdale 51 min ago
- Machete-wielding man shot by Inglewood police
- Greuel, Garcetti rally for undecided voters
- Body found near area where hiker went missing
- Suspect killed in Alhambra PD station ID'ed 12 min ago
- Deputies shoot, kill armed man during fight
- Couple arrested in LA pot grow operation
- Deaf Yorkie held for ransom is back home
- Frazier Park fire: Crews gain upper hand
- Damaged trains being removed from Conn. site
- abcnews: 1st lady jokes about president's failures
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
- Kings lose to Sharks 2-1 in OT of Game 3
- OTRC: Kelly Rowland in talks to be 'X Factor' judge