Broadway to feature Magic Johnson, Larry Bird
NEW YORK (KABC) -- The producers and playwright of the Broadway play "Lombardi" are planning to go from football to basketball with a new play based on two NBA legends.
The script by "Lombardi" playwright Eric Simonson will follow the two basketball stars' friendship and rivalry from their NBA rookie days to the Olympic Dream Team.
The play is scheduled to debut on Broadway in 2012.
Like "Lombardi," which benefited from endorsement by the National Football League, the new play about Bird and Magic will be produced in association with the National Basketball Association.
Producers Fran Kirmser and Tony Ponturo say Johnson and Bird will participate in the creative process.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape 52 min ago
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico 44 min ago
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- Crates of mail found abandoned in Hollywood
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- Good Friday: Pope remembers those who suffer
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Sub scours ocean for missing Malaysian jet
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)
- Los Angeles Mission serves Good Friday meals
33 min ago