Broadway to feature Magic Johnson, Larry Bird
NEW YORK (KABC) -- The producers and playwright of the Broadway play "Lombardi" are planning to go from football to basketball with a new play based on two NBA legends.
The script by "Lombardi" playwright Eric Simonson will follow the two basketball stars' friendship and rivalry from their NBA rookie days to the Olympic Dream Team.
The play is scheduled to debut on Broadway in 2012.
Like "Lombardi," which benefited from endorsement by the National Football League, the new play about Bird and Magic will be produced in association with the National Basketball Association.
Producers Fran Kirmser and Tony Ponturo say Johnson and Bird will participate in the creative process.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run 29 min ago
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college 45 min ago
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway 25 min ago
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- OC school band chosen to march in Rose Parade
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- Aereo case: Justices skeptical, concerned
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters 40 min ago
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Drew Barrymore gives birth to baby No. 2