Broadway to feature Magic Johnson, Larry Bird
NEW YORK (KABC) -- The producers and playwright of the Broadway play "Lombardi" are planning to go from football to basketball with a new play based on two NBA legends.
The script by "Lombardi" playwright Eric Simonson will follow the two basketball stars' friendship and rivalry from their NBA rookie days to the Olympic Dream Team.
The play is scheduled to debut on Broadway in 2012.
Like "Lombardi," which benefited from endorsement by the National Football League, the new play about Bird and Magic will be produced in association with the National Basketball Association.
Producers Fran Kirmser and Tony Ponturo say Johnson and Bird will participate in the creative process.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Target probe focuses on processing centers 26 min ago
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim
- Lancaster woman found dead; sons questioned
- Man found dead after house fire in Orange
- Calif. jobless rate continues positive trend
- Judge strikes down Utah's same-sex marriage ban
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: Service dog sniffs out girl's disease
- Understanding symbols on plastic containers 23 min ago
- Bejo's 'Past' character sometimes unlikeable 33 min ago
- 9-yr-old FL girl is youngest to bowl 300 game
- OTRC: Phil Robertson's fam talks 'Duck Dynasty' future 51 min ago