Christian Dior firing designer John Galliano
PARIS (KABC) -- Christian Dior said it is firing famed designer John Galliano after an online video surfaced showing him praising Adolf Hitler.
The French fashion house said on Tuesday that Galliano has been immediately laid off and the process of firing him has begun.
Last week, Dior suspended Galliano as its creative director following several accusations of racist and anti-Semitic rants against customers of at least one Paris café. On Monday, a video posted online showed Galliano drunkenly telling a café patron, "I love Hitler."
The firing comes just before the latest Paris ready-to-wear shows begin.
Dior had came under even more pressure after Oscar-winning actress Natalie Portman, one of the company's spokesmodels, said in a statement she "will not be associated with Mr. Galliano in any way."
Dior is scheduled to present its fall-winter 2011-2012 ready-to-wear show on Friday. Galliano was also scheduled to present his own signature line on Sunday.
fashion, firing, caught on tape, entertainment
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Big Sur wildfire is now fully contained 1 min ago
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal 58 min ago
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Beyonce surprises fans at Mass. Wal-Mart 30 min ago
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)