Last episode of 'The Oprah Winfrey Show' to air May 25
CHICAGO (KABC) -- The end is near for "The Oprah Winfrey Show." The final original episode will air May 25, it was confirmed Friday by Winfrey's Chicago-based Harpo Productions.
Winfrey announced live on the show in November 2009 that she would end its run after 25 years. She since has launched cable's Oprah Winfrey Network.
Winfrey tweeted Thursday she and her staff are now "hard at work planning the final shows." The show has been in reruns for the last few weeks, but Winfrey tweeted that new episodes would resume on April 7.
The final episode brings an end to what has been television's top-rated talk show for more than two decades. "The Oprah Winfrey Show" airs in 145 countries worldwide.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
oprah winfrey, talk show, television, entertainment
- Bell corruption trial: Jury reaches verdict 20 min ago
- 18 indicted in LA Sheriff's Dept abuse probe 9 min ago
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Houseguest arrested after 80-year-old's death 53 min ago
- 'Button-down' Bandit' strikes Corona bank
- Pomona gang member arrested for murder
- Man arrested for Ventura transient's murder
- Ex-SD Mayor Filner sentenced for harassment
- Icy storm persists, disrupts travel in east US
- abcnews: Gun makers thriving year after Newtown 6 min ago
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's uncle
- 'Sound of Music' actress Eleanor Parker dies 11 min ago
- Jenni Rivera plane crash: New details emerge
- OTRC: Meredith Baxter weds partner Nancy Locke