Last episode of 'The Oprah Winfrey Show' to air May 25
CHICAGO (KABC) -- The end is near for "The Oprah Winfrey Show." The final original episode will air May 25, it was confirmed Friday by Winfrey's Chicago-based Harpo Productions.
Winfrey announced live on the show in November 2009 that she would end its run after 25 years. She since has launched cable's Oprah Winfrey Network.
Winfrey tweeted Thursday she and her staff are now "hard at work planning the final shows." The show has been in reruns for the last few weeks, but Winfrey tweeted that new episodes would resume on April 7.
The final episode brings an end to what has been television's top-rated talk show for more than two decades. "The Oprah Winfrey Show" airs in 145 countries worldwide.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
oprah winfrey, talk show, television, entertainment
- Kidnap suspect search shuts down DTLA streets
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- IE man found guilty of molesting 3 girls
- Police: 2 South LA fires may be connected
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC
- LAX Terminal 7 partially evacuated over threat
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Toddler found playing inside toy claw machine
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Mrs. Doubtfire 2' planned, child star reacts