Last episode of 'The Oprah Winfrey Show' to air May 25
CHICAGO (KABC) -- The end is near for "The Oprah Winfrey Show." The final original episode will air May 25, it was confirmed Friday by Winfrey's Chicago-based Harpo Productions.
Winfrey announced live on the show in November 2009 that she would end its run after 25 years. She since has launched cable's Oprah Winfrey Network.
Winfrey tweeted Thursday she and her staff are now "hard at work planning the final shows." The show has been in reruns for the last few weeks, but Winfrey tweeted that new episodes would resume on April 7.
The final episode brings an end to what has been television's top-rated talk show for more than two decades. "The Oprah Winfrey Show" airs in 145 countries worldwide.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
oprah winfrey, talk show, television, entertainment
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Searchers cannot find object from missing jet
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Skydiver collides with plane in Fla.
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks