Michael Jackson Cirque show coming to Las Vegas
LAS VEGAS (KABC) -- The late Michael Jackson is about to become the subject of a major new attraction in Las Vegas.
Cirque du Soleil wants to re-create Neverland Ranch at the Mandalay Bay hotel-casino on the Las Vegas Strip. Performance troupe president Daniel Lamarre on Wednesday announced plans that include an interactive memorabilia museum dedicated to the King of Pop, a Michael Jackson-themed lounge and a permanent show featuring dancers and his music.
The plan is to have it ready to open in 2013. The changes are expected to be permanent.
Cirque du Soleil's homage to Jackson kicks off in October, with the most expensive show in the French company's history. The $57 million "Michael Jackson, The Immortal World Tour" will open in Montreal and hit 30 cities including New York, Miami, Philadelphia, Los Angeles and Las Vegas.
The tour's Las Vegas stop at Mandalay Bay will kick off with a fan convention in December as a preview to the permanent Jackson attraction.
Excerpts from Jackson's music videos will be part of the 90-minute show, with no specific performer representing Jackson. "Immortal" will also feature as-yet-unreleased songs that Jackson finished before his death in 2009.
The tour then goes to Europe, Lamarre said, while Cirque producers open a more intimate, theatrical show at the new Las Vegas theater.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
michael jackson, theater news, entertainment
- Vandals break in, trash church in Palmdale 13 min ago
- Machete-wielding man shot by Inglewood police
- Greuel, Garcetti rally for undecided voters
- Body found near area where hiker went missing
- Suspect killed in Alhambra PD station ID'ed 43 min ago
- Deputies shoot, kill armed man during fight
- Couple arrested in LA pot grow operation
- Deaf Yorkie held for ransom is back home
- Frazier Park fire: Crews gain upper hand
- Damaged trains being removed from Conn. site
- abcnews: 1st lady jokes about president's failures
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
- Kings lose to Sharks 2-1 in OT of Game 3
- OTRC: Kelly Rowland in talks to be 'X Factor' judge