Oprah Winfrey gets star-studded farewell during taping in Chicago
CHICAGO (KABC) -- Talk show titan Oprah Winfrey got a star-studded farewell on Tuesday.
Tom Hanks was just one of the big names that turned out for the taping of a special double-show spectacular to mark the end of "The Oprah Winfrey Show."
"Oprah Winfrey, today, you are surrounded by nothing but love," Hanks said.
Around 13,000 fans attended the event at Chicago's United Center and got to hear tributes to Winfrey from stars of movies, music and sports. Tickets were free and distributed to fans through a lottery.
The crowd gave Winfrey a standing ovation when she first walked on the stage.
Aretha Franklin sang "Amazing Grace." Michael Jordan, who led the Chicago Bulls to six NBA championships during the 1990s, told Winfrey she inspires him.
Tom Cruise, famous for his couch jumping on Winfrey's show, was there.
Maria Shriver appeared on the same day it was revealed her husband, Arnold Schwarzenegger, fathered a child with a woman on his household staff more than a decade ago. Shriver did not mention her husband during the taping.
Other stars included Jerry Seinfeld, Madonna, Halle Berry, Queen Latifah, Katie Holmes, Dakota Fanning, Diane Sawyer, Beyonce and Usher.
Winfrey announced in November 2009 that she would end "The Oprah Winfrey Show" this year after 25 years.
Tuesday's taping will air May 23 and 24, before Winfrey's final show on May 25.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
television, oprah winfrey, talk show, entertainment, george pennacchio
- Mandela death: So. Africa prepares for burial
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Ontario 49 min ago
- Unemployment falls to 7 pct, 203K jobs added
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk
- Missing Pasadena City College hiker found 47 min ago
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow
- Los Angeles Co. social workers go on strike
- IE domestic-violence murder suspect at large
- 4 local brothers are all members of LAPD
- UCSB meningitis: Student's legs amputated
- abcnews: Brutal elevator attack shocks Chinese city
- 2015 Ford Mustang still has plenty of muscle
- Man arrested in Paul Walker wreckage theft
- OTRC: Keri Russell, husband Shane Deary separate