Stephen King's first play ready to hit stage
ATLANTA (KABC) -- Writer Stephen King's first play, "The Ghost Brothers of Darkland County" is finally ready to hit the stage.
The musical, which features melodies by rocker John Mellencamp, was originally scheduled to debut at Atlanta's Alliance Theatre in 2009, but was postponed. It's now set to open next April at the Alliance.
At a preview presentation Tuesday, King said the play's director and Mellencamp weren't getting along. King also said the project originated about 11 years ago.
"John had an idea that he wanted to do a play about ghosts in a cabin and how sibling rivalries and resentments are carried down from generation to generation," King said.
He said Mellencamp told his agent he wanted a writer like Stephen King and discovered that the two had the same agent.
King said he outlined a story incorporating live brothers and dead brothers.
"John wanted it to be in the South because he's a big admirer of Tennessee Williams. I was fine with that because I'd been reading a lot of William Faulkner, and those voices were in my head."
Though the show may eventually make it to New York, King said he wrote the play with the idea of a small stage in mind.
Mellencamp wrote all the lyrics as well as the music, King said.
"Believe me, I can't write songs. Songs and poetry are just outside my field."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
theater news, entertainment
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen
- Yucaipa High teacher accused of sex with teen
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks 6 min ago
- Woman assaulted near Pizza Hut in Lancaster
- 15-yr-old arrested after assaulting IE senior
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Rooney to be buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour
- Telescope detects Earth-like planet
18 min ago