Stephen King's first play ready to hit stage
ATLANTA (KABC) -- Writer Stephen King's first play, "The Ghost Brothers of Darkland County" is finally ready to hit the stage.
The musical, which features melodies by rocker John Mellencamp, was originally scheduled to debut at Atlanta's Alliance Theatre in 2009, but was postponed. It's now set to open next April at the Alliance.
At a preview presentation Tuesday, King said the play's director and Mellencamp weren't getting along. King also said the project originated about 11 years ago.
"John had an idea that he wanted to do a play about ghosts in a cabin and how sibling rivalries and resentments are carried down from generation to generation," King said.
He said Mellencamp told his agent he wanted a writer like Stephen King and discovered that the two had the same agent.
King said he outlined a story incorporating live brothers and dead brothers.
"John wanted it to be in the South because he's a big admirer of Tennessee Williams. I was fine with that because I'd been reading a lot of William Faulkner, and those voices were in my head."
Though the show may eventually make it to New York, King said he wrote the play with the idea of a small stage in mind.
Mellencamp wrote all the lyrics as well as the music, King said.
"Believe me, I can't write songs. Songs and poetry are just outside my field."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
theater news, entertainment
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait 42 min ago
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon
- Coach pleads no contest to molesting girls
- LAPD crash: Funeral services announced
- Portion of 405 South to close for 2 nights
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed
- CVS allegedly lost track of 37K painkillers
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book
- Lose weight playing video games, study says
26 min ago