IBM's Watson named 'person' of year by Webbys
NEW YORK (KABC) -- Watson, the "Jeopardy!"-playing IBM computer, has been named person of the year by the Webby Awards.
The Webbys, which honor Internet achievement, announced their special honorees on Thursday.
The rock group LCD Soundsystem was chosen as artist of the year. The band, which recently disbanded, presented their final concert at Madison Square Garden in a live webcast.
It was also announced that "It Gets Better Project" founder Dan Savage will be honored for special achievement. Savage's online video campaign has urged young people to stand up to bullying against lesbian, bisexual, gay and transgender teens.
Director Adam McKay and Chris Henchy, co-founders of the comedy website FunnyOrDie, will be honored as film and video person of the year.
Awards will be handed out June 13 at the 15th annual Webby Awards, hosted by Lisa Kudrow.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
celebrity, music news, entertainment
- Gunman at large in East LA party shooting 3 min ago
- 2 LB suspects accused of human trafficking
- Anaheim begins closing marijuana dispensaries
- Odor forces evacuation of Pasadena building
- OC teen to be tried as adult in dad beating 39 min ago
- Palmdale boy dies after allegedly being tortured
- Are bridges in Southern California safe?
- Committee approves dental care to Medi-Cal
- Truck in bridge collapse had permit to cross
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted; 2 arrested
- abcnews: WWII medals back after mistaken donation
- New flu vaccine made from tobacco plant in works
- 'The Rock' returns for 'Fast & Furious 6'
- OTRC: Vin Diesel denies steroids use (Video)