IBM's Watson named 'person' of year by Webbys
NEW YORK (KABC) -- Watson, the "Jeopardy!"-playing IBM computer, has been named person of the year by the Webby Awards.
The Webbys, which honor Internet achievement, announced their special honorees on Thursday.
The rock group LCD Soundsystem was chosen as artist of the year. The band, which recently disbanded, presented their final concert at Madison Square Garden in a live webcast.
It was also announced that "It Gets Better Project" founder Dan Savage will be honored for special achievement. Savage's online video campaign has urged young people to stand up to bullying against lesbian, bisexual, gay and transgender teens.
Director Adam McKay and Chris Henchy, co-founders of the comedy website FunnyOrDie, will be honored as film and video person of the year.
Awards will be handed out June 13 at the 15th annual Webby Awards, hosted by Lisa Kudrow.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
celebrity, music news, entertainment
- Burglary suspects sexually assault woman
- Sex offender arrested for sex with minor
- Boy brings loaded gun to Garden Grove school
- NYPD Twitter backlash spreads to LAPD
- Man tries to lure Culver City girl into car
- TSA responds to case on disabled LAX passenger
- $20K reward offered in unsolved Compton murder
- Man found dead outside fumigated OC house
- South Korea ferry death toll reaches 156
- abcnews: McCann probers focus on child sex attacker
- 6.7-mag. quake off British Columbia coast
- 'Bachelorette' contestant dies in accident
- Jay Z, Beyonce Rose Bowl concert approved
- OTRC: Jodie Foster weds partner Alexandra Hedison