IBM's Watson named 'person' of year by Webbys
NEW YORK (KABC) -- Watson, the "Jeopardy!"-playing IBM computer, has been named person of the year by the Webby Awards.
The Webbys, which honor Internet achievement, announced their special honorees on Thursday.
The rock group LCD Soundsystem was chosen as artist of the year. The band, which recently disbanded, presented their final concert at Madison Square Garden in a live webcast.
It was also announced that "It Gets Better Project" founder Dan Savage will be honored for special achievement. Savage's online video campaign has urged young people to stand up to bullying against lesbian, bisexual, gay and transgender teens.
Director Adam McKay and Chris Henchy, co-founders of the comedy website FunnyOrDie, will be honored as film and video person of the year.
Awards will be handed out June 13 at the 15th annual Webby Awards, hosted by Lisa Kudrow.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
celebrity, music news, entertainment
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Cute bear cub left alone at animal rescue
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour