Alicia Keys helping produce a Broadway play
NEW YORK (KABC) -- Grammy Award-winning artist Alicia Keys is joining the ranks of Jay-Z and Will Smith in the world of Broadway producers.
Keys, whose hits include "Fallin"' and "A Woman's Worth," will help produce the play "Stick Fly."
The Lydia R. Diamond work is described as a comedy of manners revolving around an affluent black family. Keys described the story as something everyone can relate to.
The piece has been performed in Boston, Chicago and Washington, D.C. It officially opens Dec. 8.
Diamond, a playwriting professor at Boston University, adapted Toni Morrison's "The Bluest Eye" for the stage and has written "Stage Black" and "The Gift Horse."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
theater news, music news, celebrity, entertainment
- Artesia hit-run accident leaves woman dead
- Gunman at large in East LA party shooting
- Drug boat washes ashore in Manhattan Beach
- Protests against Monsanto held around world
- Boy on bicycle killed by truck in Simi Valley
- Wildfire breaks out north of Moreno Valley
- OC thieves sought for smash-grab robbery
- Ex-PTA president allegedly stole candy funds
- Communications satellite launched into space
- abcnews: WWII medals back after mistaken donation
- London attack: 3 more arrested in slaying
- Rogers, gay soccer player, joins LA Galaxy
- OTRC: Blake Shelton's Oklahoma benefit concert
- Eye on LA reveals sizzling hot summer guide