John Lithgow returns to Broadway as columnist
NEW YORK (KABC) -- John Lithgow is returning to the Broadway stage as a newspaper columnist this spring.
The Tony Award-winning actor of the TV show "3rd Rock From the Sun" will star as Joseph Alsop in the Manhattan Theatre Club world premiere of David Auburn's "The Columnist."
Lithgow recently won an Emmy on "Dexter," and also nabbed a Tony for playing another columnist based on Walter Winchell in the 2002 musical "The Sweet Smell of Success."
The actor also earned a Tony in 1973 for his Broadway debut in "The Changing Room."
"The Columnist" will begin previews April 3 and open April 25 at MTC's Samuel J. Friedman Theatre on 47th Street. It will be directed by Daniel Sullivan, who also helmed Auburn's play "Proof."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
celebrity, theater news, entertainment
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens 6 min ago
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Motorcycle officer injured in Mid-City crash
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests
- Proposed power plant splits Palmdale, Lancaster
- Big Sur fire burns 769 acres; chance of rain 24 min ago
- Bipartisan budget deal nears final passage 44 min ago
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- India diplomat claims cavity search in NYC
- Ronnie Biggs, 'Great Train Robber,' dies at 84
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the '70s
- Photos: Brad Pitt over the years, 1991 to present
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
4 min ago