Chaz Bono 'Dancing With The Stars' casting causes controversy
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Many people are reacting to the casting of Chaz Bono on "Dancing With The Stars." All the chatter about Bono is due to the fact he's the show's first transgender contestant.
Some fans are happy he's a part the show, while others say they will no longer watch it.
"I'm not going to really listen to it," Bono said during an interview Monday night. "I've got to just focus on the actual task at hand."
Maybe Bono saw it coming.
On one end, fans have praised the show's progressiveness in its casting. On the other, it's been called disgusting.
"I hope your ratings sink as low as you have sunk in having Chaz on there," a former viewer wrote on an ABC message board.
"Dancing With The Stars'" executive producer Conrad Green in a phone interview said he believes people will relish getting to know Bono a bit better.
"We pride ourselves on the fact that, I think, the whole family can watch our show together," Green said. "We're not going to be making a huge amount of issue out of people's sexuality. We never have on the show.
"I just hope that the audience will go with it and give him a chance and hopefully be pleasantly surprised by him."
There has been plenty of criticism and Chaz' mother, Cher, took to Twitter to respond to it.
Her son responded to her tweet also on Twitter.
Bono is dancing with Lacey Schwimmer, who said she was thrilled when she found out he was her partner. Schwimmer says he's already picked up some great moves and she's looking forward to all the show's fans falling in love with him.
dancing with the stars, celebrity, television, abc, entertainment, george pennacchio
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Malaysia missing jet: Focus turns to pilots
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Tustin theater evacuated for investigation
- Burbank stabbing leaves 2 in serious condition
- High-speed chase leads to arrests, 5 injuries
- Young woman's body found in Santa Paula park
- Brush fire erupts in Thermal, near Indio
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report