'Dancing With The Stars' J.R. Martinez inspires good deed
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- One celebrity on "Dancing With The Stars" is giving triple 10s to an 82-year-old woman who has made a big difference in one young man's life.
Because of "Dancing With The Stars," the dramatic story of J.R. Martinez is now known to millions. Before he became an actor on "All My Children" he was in the U.S. Army serving in Iraq. That's where he was badly injured in a landmine explosion.
Martinez has spoken often about supporting the "Wounded Warrior Project," which helps severely injured service members as they transition back to civilian life.
That's where almost 83-year-old Mary Tilt of Thousand Palms comes in. She donated a barely used $3,500 wheelchair she inherited to a soldier in need.
"What Mary did, I think it's an example of what we wanted to do," said Martinez. "We wanted to inspire people to do something for our men and women."
"He's a wounded warrior," said Tilt. "And I knew he was on 'Dancing With The Stars' and I wanted him to know that it was him that made me want the wounded warriors to have that chair."
Martinez personally wrote a message to Tilt saying, "God bless you for what you did."
Tilt said that the wheelchair went to a soldier who had lost both legs and one arm.
"It's an amazing feeling," said Martinez. "It's an amazing honor and I'm going to continue, as long as I'm here in this competition, I'm going to continue to carry that torch as long as it's lit."
"J.R. as far as I'm concerned, he's the greatest wounded warrior I've ever known," said Tilt.
And she's hoping that one day that she'll get to meet him in person.
dancing with the stars, charity, entertainment, george pennacchio
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- Whittier police standoff forces evacuations
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Sriracha owner considers moving plant to TX?
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- Mount Everest avalanche: 6 killed, 9 missing
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Chelsea Clinton pregnant with 1st child
- Kittens accidentally shipped from LA to SD
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)