Selena Gomez gets temporary restraining order against man
BURBANK, Calif. (KABC) -- A judge has granted actress and singer Selena Gomez a temporary restraining order against a man with a history of mental illness.
In a sworn declaration, Gomez wrote she's in extreme fear of 46-year-old Thomas Brodnicki.
According to court records, the order was provided to the Disney star of the hit television series "Wizards of Waverly Place" based on a credible threat of violence. The threat is considered so serious that the Los Angeles Police Department's Threat Management Unit is handling the case.
According to legal documents, Brodnicki told a psychiatrist he had conversations with God and entertained thoughts of killing Gomez. Brodnicki made the remarks while being held for psychiatric observation after threatening people on the street, telling them that he would scratch their eyes out.
Brodnicki is required to stay 100 yards away from Gomez and her workplace until a Nov. 4 hearing, , when the order may be extended for three years.
Brodnicki has a history of stalking women. He was sentenced to three years in prison for cyberstalking a woman police say he was infatuated with and pursued for eight years.
William Burck, the president of Knight Protection and Investigation Services based in Redondo Beach, says his agency provides security for several movie and television stars. He says stars like Gomez face a bigger threat now from stalkers than they did in the past, and providing security for actors and actresses can be a challenge.
"When we first started doing this back in the '80s, you know, you didn't have the Internet, you didn't have all the social media sites," said Burck. "Today what happens in just about every aspect of your life is out there - I mean where you shop, where you buy your coffee, where your kids play soccer."
Burck says like past stalking cases involving Halle Berry, Paris Hilton and gymnast and "Dancing With The Stars" contestant Shawn Johnson, Gomez is facing a serious ordeal.
"Unfortunately a lot of these stalkers have mental problems and they think that they have this personal relationship with the celebrity," said Burck.
Gomez, who is dating teen pop star Justin Bieber, has not spoken publicly about the ordeal.
celebrity, entertainment, leo stallworth
- London theater partial collapse; 80+ hurt 3 min ago
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- Rain, winds moving across Southern California
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected 3 min ago
- 21 hospitalized in Riverside County bus crash 26 min ago
- Students allegedly hack system, change grades
- 2 taken to hospital after school bus crash
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- abcnews: Renewed Gacy probe reunites family
- India wants NYC arrested diplomat case dropped
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston: I have Lupus Myelitis