Puerto Rican duo Calle 13 dominates Latin Grammys
LAS VEGAS (KABC) -- The best in Latin music was honored at this year's Latin Grammy Awards in Las Vegas Thursday, but most musicians didn't stand a chance.
That's because the Puerto Rican hip-hop duo Calle 13 swept the majority of the awards. Brothers Rene Perez Joglar and Eduardo Jose Cabra Martinez broke the record for most Latin Grammy Awards won in a career and most awards won in a single night.
The duo was nominated for 10 awards and took home all but one.
Among their many awards, Calle 13 won record of the year, album of the year and song of the year.
Shakira took home the award for best female pop vocal album, and Franco De Vita won for best male pop vocal album.
The awards show was a blend of genres and talents, as performers from nearly 100 countries gathered at the Mandalay Bay Events Center on the Las Vegas Strip for a night of Spanish pop, rock, salsa, rap and country.
Crossover stars Sean Kingston, Usher and Demi Lovato were among the dozens of pop stars who shared the stage, along with Mexican rocker Alejandra Guzman, Puerto Rican rappers Wisin and Yandel and Bronx-born crooner Prince Royce. Award presenters included Erik Estrada, Zoe Saldana and Sofia Vergara.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
celebrity, award shows, entertainment
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast 8 min ago
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge 2 min ago
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured 20 min ago
- Searchers cannot find object from missing jet 12 min ago
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- Dana Point shooting suspect sought by deputies
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Skydiver collides with plane in Fla.
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks