Puerto Rican duo Calle 13 dominates Latin Grammys
LAS VEGAS (KABC) -- The best in Latin music was honored at this year's Latin Grammy Awards in Las Vegas Thursday, but most musicians didn't stand a chance.
That's because the Puerto Rican hip-hop duo Calle 13 swept the majority of the awards. Brothers Rene Perez Joglar and Eduardo Jose Cabra Martinez broke the record for most Latin Grammy Awards won in a career and most awards won in a single night.
The duo was nominated for 10 awards and took home all but one.
Among their many awards, Calle 13 won record of the year, album of the year and song of the year.
Shakira took home the award for best female pop vocal album, and Franco De Vita won for best male pop vocal album.
The awards show was a blend of genres and talents, as performers from nearly 100 countries gathered at the Mandalay Bay Events Center on the Las Vegas Strip for a night of Spanish pop, rock, salsa, rap and country.
Crossover stars Sean Kingston, Usher and Demi Lovato were among the dozens of pop stars who shared the stage, along with Mexican rocker Alejandra Guzman, Puerto Rican rappers Wisin and Yandel and Bronx-born crooner Prince Royce. Award presenters included Erik Estrada, Zoe Saldana and Sofia Vergara.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
celebrity, award shows, entertainment
- UK theater collapse: 20-40 injuries reported 6 min ago
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- Rain, winds moving across Southern California
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Students allegedly hack system, change grades
- 2 taken to hospital after school bus crash
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- abcnews: Renewed Gacy probe reunites family
- India wants NYC arrested diplomat case dropped
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston: I have Lupus Myelitis 52 min ago