McCready says can't return to Fla. for court
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (KABC) -- It looks like troubled country singer Mindy McCready won't fulfill a judge's order to return her son to her mother.
The 5-year-old boy was reported missing after McCready took him from her father's home on Tuesday. Her mother and father are divorced.
McCready's mother has custody of the boy.
A judge ruled she must return him today or risk an arrest warrant.
McCready told The Associated Press she probably won't be able to return the boy because she's nearly seven months pregnant with twins.
The singer also said that she and her mother have had a long custody battle in Florida over Zander. Her mother was awarded guardianship in 2007.
That battle spilled into the public eye this week when the Florida Department of Children and Families said a missing person report was filed with police after McCready took her son from her father's home.
McCready was able to visit with the boy there under a court order and the 36-year-old singer said she had spent much of the past month with her son at the home.
McCready alleges that her son suffered abuse while living at her mother's home and that is one of the reasons why she left with the boy last week.
The singer told AP that she is suing her mother and a tabloid newspaper for libel in a Palm Beach County court.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- NKorea deports captive American war veteran 14 min ago
- Covina home-invasion robbery: girl, dad shot 9 min ago
- Ex-detective arrested for tipping off gang
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- 'Valley Bandit' wanted for 8 bank robberies
- Family settles over Chino school gun accident
- Suspected heist reported, 12 tons of pot found
- New Mexico cop fired after minivan shooting
- abcnews: Bill Clinton reveals insights from Mandela
- 6 detained in theft of radioactive material
- Robo-seal pups help patients fight dementia
- Long Beach motorcycle show offers demo rides
- 'Out of the Furnace' showcases pacing, acting
- OTRC: Grammys 2014 - list of nominees