McCready's son on his way home to Florida
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (KABC) -- Country singer Mindy McCready's son is in child protective custody and on his way home to southwest Florida.
Friday, authorities found McCready hiding in a closet in Arkansas with her 5-year-old son, Zander.
The FBI is calling it a case of parental abduction. The boy's maternal grandmother has been his guardian since 2007.
McCready's mother, brother, and stepfather are speaking out saying they are especially upset McCready is accusing them of abusing the boy.
The singer's stepfather says the allegations of abuse began because McCready wanted a reality show about herself.
He said the catch is that she needed custody of her son
Authorities in Arkansas said Saturday that McCready didn't have permission to be in the unoccupied summer home where she was found Friday evening with her son. Authorities are continuing to investigate the matter.
Since her emergence in the mid-1990s as a honey-voiced success story out of Nashville, McCready has been increasingly known for her personal foibles instead of her music.
This week's custody battle was the latest in a long saga of personal heartache and brushes with the law.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- LA earthquake: 4.4-mag. quake shakes SoCal 28 min ago
- Ex-couple found guilty in East LA bank robbery
- IE teen gets 18 months in 'sextortion' plot
- Crimea declares independence; West hits back
- Body found at Anaheim trash center identified
- Burbank couple rescues child with mattress
- Lancaster man hit in deputy-involved shooting
- Actor Chris Pine pleads guilty to DUI
- Man high on meth terrorizes Covina family
- Malaysian plane search expands further
- abcnews: Woman says Scientology tore apart her family
- SEALs take oil tanker from Libyan rebels
- Stooges drummer Scott Asheton dies at 64
- OTRC: 'The Walking Dead' recap: Season 4, ep 14