Harry Potter attraction coming to Universal Studios Hollywood
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Harry Potter is jumping on his broomstick and flying to Southern California.
Universal Studios Hollywood is building a new attraction based on the boy wizard and lawmakers hope the Potter franchise will cast a spell on the local economy.
The new attraction will be similar to the one that opened in Florida last year. It's one of the most popular, attracting 7 million visitors.
Officials say Universal Studios Hollywood already brings in $4.4 billion every year to the Los Angeles economy and the new park will create new jobs.
"There's a lot of critics in California, a lot of naysayers, a lot of people moving to Texas, but there are even more people who are moving to California who are creating, investing and building the dream that never dies," said Gov. Jerry Brown.
The park will be several acres in size and built on the existing Universal property.
The studio won't give an exact date, but it's expected to open in 2016.
entertainment, carlos granda
- Woman attacked at OC mall parking structure
- NKorea executes leader's uncle as a traitor
- 12 arrested, $2.5M in drugs seized in sting
- Ex-deputy convicted in fatal bar shooting
- Bell's Rizzo to plead guilty to tax evasion
- Blind, autistic piano prodigy inspires others
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense presents case
- House easily approves bipartisan budget bill
- abcnews: Ohio police chief slams Kanye West
- 4 stabbed in parking lot after Broncos game 24 min ago
- IKEA recalls lamp following death of child
- Giant lobster caught in Huntington Beach
- Redmond O'Neal testifies in Fawcett art case
- OTRC: Disney Channel film to feature Belle's son