Harry Potter attraction coming to Universal Studios Hollywood
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Harry Potter is jumping on his broomstick and flying to Southern California.
Universal Studios Hollywood is building a new attraction based on the boy wizard and lawmakers hope the Potter franchise will cast a spell on the local economy.
The new attraction will be similar to the one that opened in Florida last year. It's one of the most popular, attracting 7 million visitors.
Officials say Universal Studios Hollywood already brings in $4.4 billion every year to the Los Angeles economy and the new park will create new jobs.
"There's a lot of critics in California, a lot of naysayers, a lot of people moving to Texas, but there are even more people who are moving to California who are creating, investing and building the dream that never dies," said Gov. Jerry Brown.
The park will be several acres in size and built on the existing Universal property.
The studio won't give an exact date, but it's expected to open in 2016.
entertainment, carlos granda
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- Missing plane sent satellite signals for hours
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- LAPD Officer Lee honored at funeral service
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- LA inmate escapes hours after sentencing 32 min ago
- Big Bear Lake's pirate ship afloat again
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Dog's healing effects on 2 wounded vets
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Tina Fey talks 'Mean Girls' reunion rumors