'Hugo,' 'The Artist' lead Critics' Choice Movie Awards nominations
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The films "Hugo" and "The Artist" lead the pack with the most nominations for the 17th annual Critics' Choice Movie Awards.
The Broadcast Film Critics Association announced the nominees on Tuesday.
The two movies received 11 nominations each, including Best Picture and Best Director. The nominations were one short of the record 12 nominations for "Black Swan" last year.
The other films up for the Best Picture prize include "The Descendants," "Drive," "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close," "The Help," "Midnight in Paris," "Moneyball," "The Tree of Life" and "War Horse."
The independent film, "Drive," shifted into high gear with eight nominations in all, including a Best Actor nod for Ryan Gosling.
"The Help" also earned 8 nods, including individual acting nominations for Viola Davis, Jessica Chastain and Octavia Spencer. The film also earned a nomination for Best Acting Ensemble.
"The Descendants" and "War Horse" both collected seven.
George Clooney received three nominations as part of the Best Acting Ensemble nominees for "The Descendants" and "The Ides of March," along with a best actor nomination for "The Descendants." Clooney has received a record 13 Critics' Choice nominations over the years, including the special Freedom Award he received for "Good Night, and Good Luck."
Martin Scorsese, director of "Hugo," will also be honored with the Critics' Choice Music+Film Award at the show.
The winners will be announced on Jan. 12 at the Hollywood Palladium.
award shows, movie news, entertainment, george pennacchio
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen 17 min ago
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed 40 min ago
- IE suspect found after escaping from police
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video 34 min ago
- Photos: 'Bachelor' Juan Pablo kisses 5 contestants