Michael Jackson's kids place his prints at Grauman's Theatre
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Michael Jackson's hand and footprints were immortalized in Hollywood during a large, loud and musical ceremony on Thursday.
Jackson's three children -- Prince, Paris and Blanket -- took center stage to place their father's shoes and a famous sequined glove into the cement outside Grauman's Chinese Theatre. The children were also allowed to place their own handprints next to their father's.
"For me, and I think I speak for him as well, this right here is his lifetime achievement award," said oldest son, Prince. "This is what he strived to get, and this is what we are giving him now today."
Some big entertainment names were in attendance to honor Jackson, such as Justin Beiber, Smokey Robinson, Quincy Jones and comedian Chris Tucker.
"He was just a great person. Not only was he the biggest star in the world, and changed the world, and there will never be another one like him, but he was also the kindest man in the world," Tucker said.
Jackson's mother, Katherine, and brothers Tito and Jackie also attended the event.
The event, produced by the executors of Jackson's estate, was aimed at more than just paying tribute to Jackson. The ceremony also marked the Los Angeles run of a Cirque du Soleil production featuring Jackson's music called, "Michael Jackson The Immortal World Tour," which is set to open on Friday. Cirque du Soleil announced it will be adding more L.A. performances in August due to high ticket demand.
Jackson died on June 25, 2009, at age 50 from an overdose of the powerful surgical anesthetic propofol. His personal physician, Dr. Conrad Murray, was convicted of involuntary manslaughter and sentenced to four years behind bars.
Nearly a billion of Jackson's records have sold worldwide. Jackson also had 13 No. 1 songs and was voted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame twice.
Jan. 26 was officially declared "Michael Jackson Immortal Day" in the city of Los Angeles.
michael jackson, celebrity, entertainment, rob hayes
- Gunman at large in East LA party shooting
- Drug boat washes ashore in Manhattan Beach
- OC teen to be tried as adult in dad beating
- London attack: 3 more arrested in slaying
- Wildfire breaks out north of Moreno Valley 19 min ago
- OC thieves sought for smash-grab robbery
- Ex-PTA president allegedly stole candy funds
- Man killed when Amtrak train collides with car
- AZ sheriff's office profiles Latinos - judge
- Communications satellite launched into space
- abcnews: WWII medals back after mistaken donation
- Rogers, gay soccer player, joins LA Galaxy
- OTRC: Blake Shelton's Oklahoma benefit concert
- Eye on LA reveals sizzling hot summer guide