Conrad Murray seeks release pending appeal
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The doctor convicted in the death of Michael Jackson is asking to be released from jail pending his appeal.
Dr. Conrad Murray is already serving a four-year jail sentence. His attorney J. Michael Flanagan is asking that he be released on his own recognizance or on bail with electronic monitoring.
Flanagan says Murray is not a danger to society and wants to help support his seven children. He also suggested the sentence and Murray's mode of confinement is extremely severe for a man with no prior criminal record.
Jackson died in June 2009 of an overdose of the powerful anesthetic propofol, which Murray administered.
Murray's appeal has not yet been filed, but the motion offered a preview of some issues that will be raised, including the claim that judge in the case should have allowed testimony about Jackson's financial condition.
Flanagan said leaving that information out "seriously compromised the defendant's ability to demonstrate the desperate situation which was guiding the decisions and choices of both Mr. Jackson and Dr. Murray."
Under sentencing guidelines, Murray is expected to serve no more than half of his sentence. The attorney said if he served his complete sentence he would not receive the benefits of a favorable appeal decision if his case was overturned.
A hearing for the motion was set for Feb. 24.
celebrity, court case, entertainment
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- Funeral held for LAPD Officer Chris Cortijo
- OC school band chosen to march in Rose Parade
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- 'Mother Ditch' uncovered near downtown LA
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- abcnews: Man accused of killing teens who entered home
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- Aereo case: Justices skeptical, concerned
- Epilepsy treatment uses laser to stop seizures
- Zadan, Meron to produce Oscars for 3rd year
- OTRC: Drew Barrymore gives birth to baby No. 2