Sean Penn named ambassador for Haiti for humanitarian work
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (KABC) -- Actor Sean Penn has been named ambassador at large for Haiti.
Haitiian President Michel Martelly honored Penn with the title at a ceremony on Tuesday at the National Palace.
The actor was honored for all his humanitarian work since the devastating earthquake of 2010. Martelly thanked Penn for keeping the spotlight on the still recovering Caribbean nation.
Penn's J/P Haitian Relief Organization was set up a few months after the Jan. 12, 2010, earthquake to oversee a settlement camp where thousands of people displaced by the disaster lived.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
celebrity, charity, entertainment
- Body found in canyon ID'd as Maribel Ramos
- Brush fire scorches 575 acres in Castaic area
- Toddler, mom robbed by knife-wielding man
- Suspect killed inside Alhambra PD station
- Purse found in search for missing woman in IE
- Hacienda Heights soldier killed on 1st Iraq tour
- Greuel, Garcetti vie for last-minute votes
- Laguna Beach sexual assault suspect sought
- Calif. unemployment rate falls to 9 percent
- OJ Simpson knew buddies had guns - ex-lawyer
- Conn. commuter trains collide, 60 injured
- abcnews: Flesh-eating bacteria survivor's bionic hands 19 min ago
- Michael Jackson death trial attorneys clash
- OTRC: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' movie review