Anna Paquin, 11, wins Oscar for 'The Piano' - Great Oscar Moments
Throughout this Oscar season, we are looking back at some of the great moments in Academy Awards history. At the 66th Academy Awards in 1994, Anna Paquin, then just 11 years old, won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for her role as the daughter of a mute pianist in "The Piano," becoming the second youngest winner in history.
The actress, who was born in Canada and raised in New Zealand, would go on to play Sookie Stackhouse in the HBO vampire series "True Blood" and the mutant Rogue in the "X-Men" films, starting in 2000.
In "The Piano," Paquin played Flora McGrath, the daughter of a mute pianist, portrayed by Holly Hunter. The film was directed by Jane Campion and co-produced by Jan Chapman. Eddie Campbell worked as Paquin's dialect coach. Patricia Quirke was her tutor and chaperone.
Tatum O'Neal became the youngest person to win an Oscar when she took home the award for her role in the 1973 film "Paper Moon."
Leading up to the ceremony, "On The Red Carpet" co-host Rachel Smith will be doing interviews with hair and fashion stylists and makeup artists for the "Best Dressed" video series featured on Oscar.com, beginning on Feb. 11. Smith will also be covering live events and offering post-show analysis of Oscar night fashions for the site.
It was announced in November, that Billy Crystal would return to host the 84th annual Academy Awards.
The awards ceremony will air live on Sunday, Feb. 26, 2012 on ABC7. Coverage begins at noon PT.
OnTheRedCarpet.com will have complete coverage of the Oscar season, including an exclusive interactive live stream show LIVE from the red carpet. Follow @OnTheRedCarpet on Twitter and "Like" On The Red Carpet on Facebook, and download our FREE entertainment news app for the iPhone and iPad.
academy awards, award shows, entertainment
- Rizzo gets 12 years in prison for corruption
- Jury deadlocks in OC distracted driving case 51 min ago
- 290 missing, 6 dead in S. Korea ferry disaster 11 min ago
- West Adams fire in converted garage injures 4
- Man found tied up, burned on 605 Freeway
- Lake Elsinore man arrested for assault
- Possible 5th victim sought in serial murders
- Teen caught egging homeless woman in Lancaster
- State audit: Cudahy must repay $22.7 million
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar 44 min ago
- abcnews: 10 most awful jobs for 2014 revealed
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus hospitalized, cancels concerts 55 min ago