Anna Paquin, 11, wins Oscar for 'The Piano' - Great Oscar Moments
Throughout this Oscar season, we are looking back at some of the great moments in Academy Awards history. At the 66th Academy Awards in 1994, Anna Paquin, then just 11 years old, won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for her role as the daughter of a mute pianist in "The Piano," becoming the second youngest winner in history.
The actress, who was born in Canada and raised in New Zealand, would go on to play Sookie Stackhouse in the HBO vampire series "True Blood" and the mutant Rogue in the "X-Men" films, starting in 2000.
In "The Piano," Paquin played Flora McGrath, the daughter of a mute pianist, portrayed by Holly Hunter. The film was directed by Jane Campion and co-produced by Jan Chapman. Eddie Campbell worked as Paquin's dialect coach. Patricia Quirke was her tutor and chaperone.
Tatum O'Neal became the youngest person to win an Oscar when she took home the award for her role in the 1973 film "Paper Moon."
Leading up to the ceremony, "On The Red Carpet" co-host Rachel Smith will be doing interviews with hair and fashion stylists and makeup artists for the "Best Dressed" video series featured on Oscar.com, beginning on Feb. 11. Smith will also be covering live events and offering post-show analysis of Oscar night fashions for the site.
It was announced in November, that Billy Crystal would return to host the 84th annual Academy Awards.
The awards ceremony will air live on Sunday, Feb. 26, 2012 on ABC7. Coverage begins at noon PT.
OnTheRedCarpet.com will have complete coverage of the Oscar season, including an exclusive interactive live stream show LIVE from the red carpet. Follow @OnTheRedCarpet on Twitter and "Like" On The Red Carpet on Facebook, and download our FREE entertainment news app for the iPhone and iPad.
academy awards, award shows, entertainment
- Search widens for missing Malaysian jet
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- IE suspect found after escaping from police
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- Photos: 'Bachelor' Juan Pablo kisses 5 contestants