Kodak Theatre's new name no longer a mystery
HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- An official with knowledge of the Kodak Theatre's future has lifted the shroud of secrecy surrounding the venue's new name.
The mystery has been solved as the Academy Awards approach.
"It will be live from the Hollywood & Highland Center in Hollywood, California," said Tom Sherak, president of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. "That's what the landlord has asked us to do, and we're going to do it."
By the time the stars hit Hollywood Boulevard and the rest of the world tunes in, the scene surrounding the Academy Awards is finely pressed and manicured to Oscar-worthy standards.
But until then, Hollywood is looking at a work in progress. That means unsightly security fences, heavy equipment and nary a tux in sight.
Still, it's enough to spark excitement among those walking the streets of Hollywood. Fans with red carpet dreams of their own can't get enough of the behind-the-scenes scrambling.
"When you watch it on TV it's one way, but just to see the preparation and those that put in the hard work to make it happen, it's just exciting to me," said Deja Dee, an aspiring actress.
Dee was busy snapping photos of the Oscar set-ups. Meanwhile, Randall Wilson wasn't content with just looking at the red carpet.
"I'm going to try my best to get on the red carpet, because I'm a singer myself," said Randall Wilson, who was visiting from the Bay Area."This could be my big chance."
The stretch between Highland Avenue and Orange Drive is closed to traffic through Tuesday morning.
Businesses that line the shut-down section of Hollywood Boulevard, like Madame Tussauds Hollywood, are feeling the pinch.
"A lot of people are scared to come to Hollywood because there's a lot of roads closed," said Rowena Adalid of the wax museum.
To Leron Gubler, president of the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, having the Oscars in Hollywood is a good thing.
Gubler said the event is responsible for generating tens of millions of dollars for the local economy every year.
However, the week surrounding the big show, he said, can be tough on businesses immediately in the area of the shuttered stretch of Hollywood Boulevard.
"There is definitely an impact on the businesses in the neighboring area," Gubler said. "What we've told people since the Oscars came back here is, you need to look at the long-term impact."
While the street may be closed, the sidewalks aren't. Neither is the subway. And there's plenty of parking at the Hollywood and Highland complex.
Leading up to the ceremony, "On The Red Carpet" co-host Rachel Smith will be doing interviews with hair and fashion stylists and makeup artists for the "Best Dressed" video series featured on Oscar.com.
The awards ceremony will air live on Sunday, Feb. 26, 2012 on ABC7.
- Live coverage begins at 1:30 p.m. PT with On The Red Carpet at the Oscars.
- Live coverage of red carpet arrivals begins at 4 p.m.
- The 84th annual Academy Awards starts at 5:30 p.m.
- A complete wrap-up of the winners and after parties starts at 8:30 p.m.
OnTheRedCarpet.com will have complete coverage of the Oscar season, including an exclusive interactive live stream show LIVE from the red carpet. Follow @OnTheRedCarpet on Twitter and "Like" On The Red Carpet on Facebook, and download our FREE entertainment news app for the iPhone and iPad.
academy awards, award shows, road closure, entertainment
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim
- 405 accidents snarl Sepulveda Pass commute 55 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation
- 4.6-magnitude Mexico quake felt in SoCal
- abcnews: Service dog sniffs out girl's disease 33 min ago
- London theater collapse: Aging venues safe? 28 min ago
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Phil Robertson fam talk 'Duck Dynasty' future
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
23 min ago