Oscar final touchups, preparations under way
HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- With the 84th annual Academy Awards just hours away, crews are working on final touchups before the stars arrive on Sunday.
The protective plastic cover on the red carpet was taken off, leaving it exposed to a barrage of footsteps. The carpet looked a bit worn and dingy by Saturday afternoon, but crews planned to vacuum the carpet for a thorough sprucing up later in the evening.
Highland Avenue was expected to be closed starting midnight so the red carpet can be extended a little further for the stars' arrival.
Television crews have been rehearsing nonstop with stand-ins assisting by doing interviews and walking the red carpet, just as the stars will when they arrive Sunday at around 2 p.m.
Crews are able to pay more attention to details this year because they don't have to worry about having a rain tent up and having to take it back down.
"We've never really had that much time to do that before because it was like, put up the tent, take down the tent. It's a luxury. If you look around, my crew and everybody is just smiling. No umbrellas, just sunscreen," said Bob Rang, art director for the Academy Awards.
Tourists out on Hollywood Boulevard are snapping pictures and taking in all the sights. Two sisters from New Hampshire say it's not what they expected after watching the Oscar arrivals on TV.
"Totally different from what you see on television. In some ways, it's smaller, but in other ways it's big. It's definitely an experience, a terrific experience," said Donna Burke from Portsmouth, N.H.
Burke and her sister Debbie Sutherland said they got to walk on the red carpet Friday and even touch the Oscar statues.
"We were like right in there. It was awesome," said Sutherland.
The statues are covered in protective plastic bags, which will be removed Sunday so the statues can get their final paint touchups.
Early Sunday morning, crews plan to execute a security sweep with bomb-sniffing dogs to make sure everything is safe in the bleacher area as well as the security tents for the stars' arrival.
Leading up to the ceremony, "On The Red Carpet" co-host Rachel Smith will be doing interviews with hair and fashion stylists and makeup artists for the "Best Dressed" video series featured on Oscar.com.
The awards ceremony will air live on Sunday, Feb. 26, 2012 on ABC7.
- Live coverage begins at 1:30 p.m. PT with On The Red Carpet at the Oscars.
- Live coverage of red carpet arrivals begins at 4 p.m.
- The 84th annual Academy Awards starts at 5:30 p.m.
- A complete wrap-up of the winners and after parties starts at 8:30 p.m.
OnTheRedCarpet.com will have complete coverage of the Oscar season, including an exclusive interactive live stream show LIVE from the red carpet. Follow @OnTheRedCarpet on Twitter and "Like" On The Red Carpet on Facebook, and download our FREE entertainment news app for the iPhone and iPad.
academy awards, award shows, road closure, entertainment, melissa macbride
- Gunman at large in East LA party shooting
- Drug boat washes ashore in Manhattan Beach
- 2 LB suspects accused of human trafficking
- Anaheim begins closing marijuana dispensaries
- OC teen to be tried as adult in dad beating
- OC thieves sought for smash-grab robbery 49 min ago
- Ex-PTA president allegedly stole candy funds
- Man killed when Amtrak train collides with car 7 min ago
- Ex-Compton deputy fire chief out on bail
- AZ sheriff's office profiles Latinos - judge
- London attack: 3 more arrested in slaying 14 min ago
- abcnews: WWII medals back after mistaken donation
- Rogers, gay soccer player, joins LA Galaxy
- OTRC: Blake Shelton's Oklahoma benefit concert
- Man walks tightrope at Austria cathedral
40 min ago