Prop 8 play premieres in LA with Clooney, Pitt
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- George Clooney, Martin Sheen, Brad Pitt and Jamie Lee Curtis were among the stars in Saturday night's West Coast premiere of "8," a play about the courtroom battle over Proposition 8, California's ban on same-sex marriage.
The play, which took place at the Wilshire Ebell Theatre, was written by Academy Award-winning screenwriter Dustin Lance Black, who also wrote the story for "Milk."
The playwright said his goal is to show that marriage is a basic constitutional right and same-sex couples should have the right to marry.
The play includes dialogue based on the transcripts from the trial.
"You can say all you want to the media, you can talk on television and say what you want, but in a court of law, you raise your hand and you've got to tell the truth," said Rob Reiner, who directed the production. "When the truth came out, it was very clear that there is absolutely no reason why a gay person shouldn't have the same rights as everyone else."
"We kind of came here all for the same reason," said actor Matthew Morrison, who also was in the production. "We're all equals today and no one was bigger than the other person. We were all here for this amazing cause."
The show served as a fundraiser for same-sex marriage efforts across the country.
celebrity, same-sex marriage, theater news, entertainment, amy powell
- Malaysia missing jet may have turned back
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic 12 min ago
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Stage collapse reported at Servite High School 17 min ago
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- abcnews: Teens save man stuck in sewer
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video