'Hunger Games' reaps big overnight w/ $19.7M
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- "Hunger Games" fans just can't get enough of the film, which has opened strongly with $19.7 million domestically from overnight shows that started after midnight.
The totals amount to the seventh-best midnight total ever, placing the movie on a fast track toward a blockbuster opening weekend.
The top six midnight draws came from two other teen-based franchises - three movies apiece from the "Harry Potter" and "Twilight" series.
At the top of the list is "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2" with $43.5 million from midnight shows.
The most recent three "Twilight" movies and the two previous "Harry Potter" flicks make up the rest of the top six with midnight grosses ranging from $22.2 million to $30.3 million.
"The Hunger Games" stars Jennifer Lawrence as a teen forced into a televised death match with other youths. The film also stars Liam Hemsworth and Josh Hutcherson.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
movie news, entertainment
- I-5 through Grapevine reopens w/ CHP escorts 1 min ago
- Quick, cold front brings rain, chance of snow
- US vet Merrill Newman back in CA from NKorea
- 4 killed in OC crash; alcohol, speed involved
- Hawthorne stabbing: 1 killed, probe underway
- 87-year-old rescued from OC mobile home fire
- Manhattan Beach offers free parking downtown
- Oxnard home, vehicle hit by multiple gunshots 43 min ago
- New Mexico cop fired after minivan shooting
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- abcnews: Alleged cannibal ran hotel w/ grill area
- Mystery donor gives $50K to MO Salvation Army
- 'Out of the Furnace' showcases pacing, acting
- OTRC: Brian the dog returning to 'Family Guy'?