Perez Hilton sued for libel by celeb jeweler
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Celebrity blogger Perez Hilton is facing a libel lawsuit from the jeweler who designed the engagement ring that Brad Pitt gave to Angelina Jolie.
Robert Procop claims that one of Hilton's blog posts on April 17 wrongly accused him of committing criminal and civil fraud in connection with a 1985 diamond necklace transaction.
Procop is seeking more than $500,000 in damages.
Hilton has yet to comment.
The blog post stated that Procop had not only been sued for fraud, but that an $89,000 judgment was rendered against him, according to his court filing. The posting further stated that the buyer thought he was getting a 25.5-carat necklace, but that in reality it only had 17.62 carats, the suit says.
The jeweler said his reputation suffered as a result of Hilton's post, and that the blogger has refused to issue a retraction or take down the posting.
However, the only post that mentions Procop found on Hilton's blog did not contain any information about the diamond necklace transaction.
City News Service contributed to this report.
celebrity, legal, entertainment
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US 3 min ago
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim 5 min ago
- Man found dead after house fire in Orange 20 min ago
- 405 accidents snarl Sepulveda Pass commute 42 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation
- 4.6-magnitude Mexico quake felt in SoCal
- abcnews: Service dog sniffs out girl's disease
- London theater collapse: Aging venues safe?
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Phil Robertson's fam talk 'Duck Dynasty' future