'Avengers' sees record $207.4M in final weekend earnings
HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The final numbers are in and "The Avengers" extended its earning power with a record $207.4 million in its opening weekend domestically.
Prior to final earnings reports, the film was said to have made $200.3 million. The final amount is a $7.1 million increase from Disney's projected earnings. "The Avengers" debut puts last year's "Harry Potter" finale in second place for most opening weekend earnings. That film raked in $169.2 million.
"The Avengers" premiered a week early overseas and has made $447.4 million so far, bringing the worldwide earning total to $654.8 million.
The film didn't just draw comic-book fans. It appealed to teens, families and couples alike, with the audience evenly split between people over and under age 25.
"Think Like a Man" took second place in the weekend box office and "The Hunger Games" came in third.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
movie news, entertainment
- Prostitution bust at OC hotel - exclusive
- MTA bus drivers claim illness from pesticide
- LA plastic-bag ban tentatively approved
- NSA foiled 50+ terrorist plots - director
- Torrance man sues over Dorner police shooting
- Cash in paper bag stolen in Altadena robbery
- Zuma Beach bus line launched from Thousand Oaks
- Michael Hastings, BuzzFeed reporter, dies
- 1,500 evacuated in wildfire near Yosemite
- 7-Eleven stores exploited immigrants - feds
- abcnews: NFL star's home searched after killing
- Zimmerman attorneys pick 40 potential jurors
- Dave Chappelle to headline Funny or Die tour
- OTRC: Lil Wayne talks on American flag controversy