Academy opening new outdoor Hollywood theater
HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The Academy announced Monday it is opening an outdoor theater in Hollywood for tourists and locals to enjoy this summer.
The announcement was made at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences' sprawling Hollywood campus, where the films will be screened.
Academy President Tom Sherak says the "Oscar Outdoors" film series will feature surround sound and a 40-foot screen. Guests are invited to bring blankets and beach chairs to enjoy the outdoor experience.
Programming director Randy Haberkamp and Sherak both said they hope the outdoor theater recalls the drive-in theaters of a bygone era.
"I wish we could have built a drive-in theater," Sherak said. "This is the closest we could get."
The screenings begin June 15 with Casablanca, and will run every Friday and Saturday through Aug. 18. Admission is $5, $3 for students and free for kids under 10. Tickets for the June screenings go on sale on June 1.
Food trucks will be available at each screening, with trucks tailored to the movie being shown when possible.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
movie news, hollywood, academy awards, entertainment
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon 51 min ago
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Japan tsunami disasters: 3rd anniversary 24 min ago
- Pistorius shot gun out car sunroof - friend
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence 37 min ago
- Men's Wearhouse buys Jos. A. Bank for $1.8M
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- OTRC: Taylor Swift: Billboard's No. 1 money maker 58 min ago