Jennifer Hudson family murder trial: William Balfour found guilty
CHICAGO (KABC) -- The man on trial for murdering singer Jennifer Hudson's family was found guilty by a jury Friday.
William Balfour is charged with three counts of first-degree murder for the 2008 shootings of Hudson's mother, brother and 7-year-old nephew. He was found guilty of all counts Friday.
Prosecutors said Balfour shot the three family members in an act of vengeance against Hudson's sister, Julia Hudson, to whom he was married but estranged at the time.
Jurors reached a verdict after deliberating for three days. Balfour faces a mandatory sentence of life in prison.
Prosecutors say Balfour shot Hudson's mother, Darnell Donerson, 57, in the living room of the Hudson family home on Chicago's South Side on Oct. 24, 2008, then shot Hudson's 29-year-old brother, Jason Hudson, in the head as he lay in bed.
Balfour then allegedly abducted Julia Hudson's son, Julian King, and shot him as he lay behind a front seat of an SUV. His body was found in the abandoned vehicle miles away after a three-day search.
Prosecutors presented 11 days of testimony and called 83 witnesses, starting with Jennifer Hudson. With no surviving witnesses to present, prosecutors spent two weeks laying out a largely circumstantial case against Balfour, a 30-year-old one-time gang member.
Hudson attended every session of the trial and was present when the verdict was read Friday.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
celebrity, murder, entertainment
- Los Angeles mayoral race: Eric Garcetti wins 5 min ago
- Search for Oklahoma survivors almost complete
- Prop D, limit on pot shops in LA, passes
- 'DWTS' season finale: New champion crowned
- LA city attorney race: Mike Feuer wins 6 min ago
- Ron Galperin wins LA city controller race
- Huffing suspected in college student's death
- Immigration bill approved by Senate committee
- Jodi Arias jury sentencing deliberations begin
- abcnews: Boston bombing probe heads to Russia
- Bin Laden photos: Court sides with US govt
- Kings lose to Sharks 2-1, series tied 2-2
- MJ wrongful death trial: Damaging emails surface
- Photos: 'Dancing With The Stars' week 10