'Modern Family' star Sarah Hyland reveals kidney transplant
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- One of the stars of "Modern Family" has her own family to thank for a life-saving surgery.
Actress Sarah Hyland, who plays Haley Dunphy on the ABC comedy, recently revealed she's been battling a kidney disease since she was a little girl.
At age 9, she was diagnosed with abnormal kidney development. Her condition left her in pain, exhausted, and in desperate need of a transplant. Without a donor, the 21-year-old faced a life on dialysis.
"I would be in a lot of pain a lot of the time. If I didn't get, like, 12 hours of sleep, it felt, like -- it felt, like, none at all," Hyland said.
She began the search for a donor, who ended up being closer than she thought. Her own father, actor Edward James Hyland, was a perfect match, and in April she underwent the transplant surgery.
Hyland will spend the summer recovering now that there's a break taping the show.
television, celebrity, abc, entertainment
- Whittier standoff with hostage ends peacefully 19 min ago
- S. Korean ferry's slow evacuation probed 5 min ago
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Sriracha owner considers moving plant to TX?
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- Mount Everest avalanche: 6 killed, 9 missing
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Chelsea Clinton pregnant with 1st child
- Kittens accidentally shipped from LA to SD
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)